New Page 1

Author Topic: My JS-2  (Read 8659 times)

Offline Phantom_Maloo

My JS-2
« on: June 10, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »
Hello Guys,

Here's a few pics of my JS-2 that I have just started. Kit was ordered from banzai hobby after reading the other build log on this site. I have previously built the tamiya King Tiger and the Leopard 2A6. I plan on doing the Berlin kit markings and am toying with the idea of metal tracks but am not %100 on this. The photo of the KT was a in progress one

Reaper332

Re: My JS-2
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 05:22:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum Phantom_Maloo....... ;D ;D ;D

Looking forward to your JS 2 build its going to be nice going by the standard of your Leo 2 , KT..... 2 nicely done tanks........ ;) ;) ;D ;D

Where abouts are you from....???

Cheers Ken

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 05:57:12 PM »
Hi Phantom_Maloo, welcome aboard. Nice work on your previous builds and your Js will be same by the looks..... ;D ;D 8) 8)

Cheers Leo 2A6
Damo. :)

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:27:36 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys. The KT was my first tank and took me about 6 months to build it has schumo idler and track tension upgrades. The leo took about 12 - 18 months I'd get to certain points in the build get sick of it and walk away for a month or two mainly during the painting stage but i got there in the end it has upgraded bearings and mitosal metal suspension arms. I'm hoping this one will be easier being only one major color and the only upgrade i'm thinking of is the metal tracks but i might try my hand at weathering it.  I'm in Canberra.

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:38:20 PM »
Welcome to HH P-M
Like your KT, good to see you in Canberra we have a club here in Bungendore, check out the club section... Panzergruppe South we are called have members from the surrounding area from here to Newcastle
Link to club stuff
http://hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?board=105.0

Hope you enjoy your stay here and hopefully will see you at our tank day.

Cheers
Gra  :)
HL Tiger 1 & El Mod, HL Tiger 1, HL Pantiger modded to Panther A, HL Panzer III, HL Panzer IV, HL King Tiger Porsche turret, Matorro King Tiger Henschel turret & El Mod, Matorro Jagdtiger, HL Stug E & G, HL Sherman & T-34, Matorro Sturmtiger, A7V (WIP)
Member Panzergruppe South

Reaper332

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 07:38:40 PM »
Great stuff mate..... ;D
If you need any advice or help with weathering the JS feel free to contact me only to happy to talk you through it.

Cheers Ken

adamc

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 06:52:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Good to see another Canberra tankerv-vas Gra said, we have a small but active club here and would welcome a new member ;D. One of the JS 2 on the forum is mine and I would be happy to help out in any way.

Offline Mark

• Administrator
  • Operation Greenline
    • OzArmour
  • Town/City: Brisbane - Northside
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 07:19:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Gotta love the Russian armour and the JS-2 is a freakin awesome tank. I have also built one of these and if i can offer any help, let me know.

I also love the netting on your Leo 2 :D :D

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 09:32:26 AM »
The netting on the barrel is surgical gauze my wife got from work, dyed and then spray painted in camo then tied around the barrel with fishing line, the net on the hull i bought off ebay and cut up to size then tacked on with pva glue

Diverfrost

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »
Welcome Phantom,
You have some great kits there!
HH has a great knowledge base so any questions someone will me more than happy to help.

Hope you enjoy your stay

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »
Quick update. I managed to get a fair bit done today I've almost finished bolting all the suspension parts to the hull just need to prime and then mount the suspension arms and i'll be ready to spray the hull colour.

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »
G'day guys,
Managed to get some work done this afternoon. The suspension arms and torsion bars were installed. The motors and battery tray installed and the front and rear plastic hull pieces. All went together fine with no real drama's the only thing i may need to revisit is the rear plastic hull piece doesn't seem to sit properly on the metal adjusting the screws doesn't seem to fix this so I may need to glue the plastic to the metal hull otherwise i think the gap will allow dirt into the hull beneath the motors.

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 05:11:25 PM »
Hi Phantom_Maloo, great build so far you're doing very well. You can always seal the front and back parts with a very small bead of silicone to close up any gaps to stop any egress of muck getting in, just make sure it's paintable in-case you smear it though metho or the like will remove it when it's fresh if that makes sense

Cheers Leo 2A6
Damo. :)

Reaper332

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 06:17:02 PM »
Lookin good mate.... ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D  great little tip there from Leo2A6 on the silcone idea.....  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 02:18:16 PM »
G'day guys,
Some goodies arrived in the mail today my metal tracks from DKLM RC total price with postage was just under $200. I've got some uschi burnishing fluid that i plan to use on them, has anyone used this product or something similar on working metal tracks before i don't know if the solution would effect the pins or not. I've decided to use the silicon idea on the rear hull plate so i'll pick some up next time i'm at bunnings

Reaper332

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 02:46:07 PM »
Nice mate.... ;D ;D ;D Whats the weight like of the tracks...?? they look really nice in pics..

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 04:02:24 PM »
The pair weigh just under 1kg. The guy i was dealing with from DKLM informed me that they are working on a metal muzzle break and metal road wheels to be released soon but no prices yet.

Diverfrost

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
The muzzle break and Road Wheels look Fantastic

Carson's done an awesome job getting these out there

kingmaker60

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 08:22:19 AM »
lovely job,thats the next one on my bucket list,now when is fathers day????

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:13 PM »
Haven't been able to get much done over the last few days. Spent my last few days off huddled inside trying to keep warm playing PS3 while the mega blizzard raged outside. I tried using the silicon idea on the rear hull plate but while it intially looked promising it just didn't hold it in place so i pulled it off and cleaned all the surfaces and then tacked it on with slo zap using small dots every couple of cm. During a brief breakthrough of sunlight and what i can only assume was the eye of the storm as the wind also abated for about 30min i managed to lay down a final coat of primer on the hull and finish the colour coat on the road wheels. Hopefully the weather will improve next week so i'll be able to finish the colour on the lower hull and get it all assembled.

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 05:58:34 AM »
Hmmmmm curious. For silicone to stick every surface has to be super clean
Ie no greasy finger prints etc especially with plastics another great product is Sikaflex
That sticks everything but can be difficult to keep tidy
Gra has constant problems with glues not curing in the cold months
Anyway great to see you got it sorted

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 03:19:54 PM »
Yeah it was the cure time that did me in. the clamps that i had couldn't get a grip on the angles that i need and the tape couldn't get the pressure down so even after allowing two days for it to dry there was still a big gap. The Zap glue goes off in about 5-10mins so i just kept my fingers pressed on it until the glue had dried.

Reaper332

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 03:51:03 PM »
Good stuff mate at least its fixed..... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 04:45:56 PM »
With the last few days of clear skies I've managed to get a few more steps done. I sprayed the final primer and then the colour coat onto the hull and installed the road wheels. Then i managed to outsmart myself  :-[ earlier on I had decided to paint the return rollers off the hull and planned to install them at this final stage before putting the tracks on. However I forgot that the motor and gear boxes get in the way of the last two..... So I had to remove the lock tightened gearboxes clean the threads then install the two return rollers and re attach the gear boxes finally i installed the plastic kit provided tracks for the short term to make it easier to move it around during the build.

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 01:23:02 PM »
Right, Moving on from yesterdays success I've managed to run into my first serious brick wall with this kit. I put all the r/c bits together to bench test them as per the instructions and everything worked fine. I then started to install them into the hull i connected up the motors and thought that it would be a good idea before i started tidying up everything and installing the speaker that i gave it a quick run on the bench. So with everything connected up i turned it on waited while it went through it's start up then when i applied forward on the left stick i got acceleration noises from the speaker but no drive. Similar result from reverse. I've tried pairing the RX, doing the set up on the MFD and swapping around the motor wires from left to right but ensuring that the colours match. The DMD Drive indicator lights are flashing Green........help :-\