New Page 1

Author Topic: My JS-2  (Read 8709 times)

Reaper332

Re: My JS-2
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 02:12:42 PM »
Hey mate its all good you just need to stick it in gear basically....  Ok which ever stick drives your tank slide the corresponding trim lever either all the way up or down then quickly pull the drive stick in the same direction and release it back to center... that then will engage the tank into gear. If you still can't work it out feel free to give me a call and I can talk you through  over the phone...

Cheers Ken
Ph 0437 190 172

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 03:58:44 PM »
 :o Well there you go that fixed it, cheers reaper. Always helps when you actually remove the operations manual from the pack and read it I suppose  ;D is the idle function a new feature with this tank? I don't recall having to do it with the leopard or the KT and it seems that you have to do it everytime you run it. Gave it a quick spin around the garage and when I turn around the sound cuts out although i suspect this is probably due to the battery most likely being almost flat so I'm charging it at the moment and will see if that fixes it but otherwise happy days.

Reaper332

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 05:46:20 PM »
Sweet mate glad you got it sorted...... ;D ;D ;D The Pershing and both KV's are the same.... ;D ;D

Cheers Ken

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 03:53:19 PM »
Quick update. Haven't been able to make much progress recently every day I've had off it's been raining or threatening to snow so haven't been able to do any painting. I've taken a few parts into work on night shifts basically all the parts that go onto the upper hull and the fuel tanks are glued on just need to clean up the seams on the fuel tanks then ding and scuff them up.

Offline Mark

• Administrator
  • Operation Greenline
    • OzArmour
  • Town/City: Brisbane - Northside
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 10:33:57 PM »
I've taken a few parts into work on night shifts

Absolute GOLD!
She's coming together nicely.

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
Quick update. I used a soldering iron with a fine tip to try and replicate dings, scratches, bullet holes and shrapnel marks. I tried to make the ding on the rear of the drum look like it had been kicked by some tired and pissed off Russian trying to get it off in a hurry. To do this I put the iron in my bench vice horizontally and gently eased the drum up to it until it started the melt in and slowly pressed it in  until i got the size i was after. Once the plastic had cooled down a trimmed the raised edge with a fresh sharp blade and sanded it flush. The scuffs and shrapnel marks were done by gently passing the part along the edge of the iron tip and finally the bullet holes were done by pressing the tip in and slightly wiggling it to make a jagged look. For a first go I'm pretty happy with it and with a coat of primer i don't think they look too bad and should come up a treat with some colour and weathering.
Cheers,

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 07:29:43 PM »
Hi guys,
Haven't been able to do much over the last few weeks had a long run of night shifts then came down with a severe case of man flu which knocked me for six for about a week. I've only managed to paint the main gun tube and the front piece of the turret as once the gun tube is installed it will be difficult to get paint into the area where the gun elevates I also put some green onto the fuel tanks but I need to give them another coat as I've missed some parts but i'm pretty happy with how the dings and holes came out under the colour. I've also ordered a Cast metal muzzle break from DKLMRC which Carson informs me should be shipped in early August.
I'll post some pics when I get the main gun assembled.
Cheers,
Phantom

Reaper332

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 05:53:49 AM »
Nice mate look forward to seeing the muzzle break from Carson.

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 04:39:58 PM »
Update of today's progress. I finished painting the mantlet and gun tube and put them together. The recoil motor was installed without any problems. Moving onto the lower half of the turret I installed the traverse motor and the turret rollers and allowed everything time to dry. Next step was to put the turret together. This is where things got a bit fiddly. The instructions just show the upper and lower half of the turret and the front part of the turret with gun all going together at once. You also have to connect a spring and plug from the recoil motor at the same time. I decided to join the upper and lower parts first then put the frontal part in. This made connecting the spring and plug extremely difficult using long slim pliers, tweezers and swearing i managed to get them hooked up then applied glue to the area's needed and pressed home the frontal part. With the benefit of hindsight i would have joined the frontal part and the lower turret first then connected everything up before gluing the upper turret. I think I will start painting the upper deck and turret before moving onto the next steps.
Cheers,

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »
Update. Beautiful couple of days in Canberra so I've been busy with the spray can. The upper deck has been painted in the hull colour and then clear coated using humbrol acrylic crystal clear spray as i plan to use the ammo of mig pigments and enamel washes for the first time and they recommend using an acrylic clear coat before starting. The clear coat drys to a almost satin sheen so hopefully after pigments, washes and a flat varnish it will tone down. I've also sprayed an old 1/35 r/c panther in the hull colour to use as a test bed. Carson from DKLM RC has emailed me to let me know that the cast muzzle break has been posted to me, so hopefully this should arrive next week and I'll post some comparison pics. I'm waiting for some Mr surfacer I ordered to arrived so I can use it on the joints on the turret that I had to sand down before painting it.
Cheers,

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 03:55:20 PM »
Quiet night at work last night so managed to get some painting done. My offsider doesn't mind so long as I use acrylics. I used the Ammo of Mig Tools colours set. I'll probably play around with some rust effects on the blade of the shovel and saw later on but I'm pretty happy with how they came out considering it was 2am when I started  :D. If I get a chance tonight I plan to do some chipping effects on the fuel tank straps. The Mr surfacer I ordered arrived today so I should be able to get the turret gaps filled and start painting that over the next few days.
Cheers,
Phantom

Online maxmekker

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 04:01:46 PM »
Good updates, seems like I need to try out that Wood set from AK/MIG

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2014, 01:28:05 AM »
I've picked up a number of the AK/Mig sets over the last few months I don't have an airbrush but they go on really well with just a paint brush and as stated above it means I can take some bits and pieces into work on night shifts on the offchance I get some down time and not offend anyone  ;D

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2014, 04:14:23 PM »
Woke up this afternoon and look what was waiting in the mail box for me  ;D. The new cast muzzle break from DKLM RC has arrived. The cast texture is very well done and nicely refined. The part comes in a ziploc bag with two fine brass screws. The fit of the muzzle to the barrel is perfect on my example no play at all.
Cheers,

Phantom

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 10:14:23 AM »
G'day guys,

Science class today. With the weather being the way it is I decided it was far to wet and cold to be working out in the garage today so I decided to have a go at the Metal tracks I bought from DKLM RC pictured earlier.
I bought two bottles of Uschi van Der rosten burnishing fluid from BNAmodelworld. Following the instructions available online I washed the parts in hot water and a small squirt of detergent then rinsed and allowed them to dry (I used a hairdryer to speed this part up).
Then using an old plastic takeaway container I poured in the contents of one bottle then filled the empty bottle with fresh water and poured that in. At this point I put on some surgical gloves I found in my old first aid kit because I discovered that the dishwashing gloves had a hole in them when I washing the tracks.
  As a test I used one track link and one pin to see the effect and started a timer on my phone as the instructions state only to leave the part in until the desired look is achieved. Once I placed the parts in the solution I used an old washing up brush the agitate the part and remove any air bubbles, this is a crucial step as you will be able to see in the photos once I moved onto doing multiple links any air bubbles will result in the solution not blackening that area.
 After about a minute I removed the parts from the solution and rinsed them under the tap the stop the reaction. Then placed them on an old towel to dry.
  Then I built up and section of about 7 links from the spares provided from DKLM to test if it would have any effect on the free movement of the links and placed them in the solution using the brush I scrubbed away on both sides and after a minute removed them and rinsed but in the deep recesses there was some shiny parts but as i plan to use a track wash and some pigments I'm not to concerned. Once I'd finished i used some coffee filter paper and poured the used solution into a glass jar for later use. I plan on doing the main tracks tomorrow after i get some new gloves.
Overall I'm pretty happy with the result. It's the first time I've used this type of product and it doesn't seem to effect the movement of the tracks even when doing multiple links at once.

Cheers,

Phantom

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 02:42:41 PM »
Nice work Phantom that DKLM gear looks like nice stuff

adamc

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2014, 08:07:55 PM »
Looks good.  If you don't mind me asking, how much were the tracks?  The girl on the bottle looks like she is from a WW2 German propaganda poster.

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »
The tracks cost me $250 delivered they were one of the last sets he had at that time so I got %5 discount on them. I think the girl is from some type of propaganda poster. Uschi do some really good stuff I've got some of their wood grain decals and rigging thread for some WW1 kits in my stash. I believe they also do some paint masks for the 1/16 panther. 

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 07:17:54 PM »
G'day Guys,

I finished the burnishing treatment on the tracks with the help of my wife I got a bit of a production line going and managed to do both lengths in under an hour. With the glorious weather we had this weekend I finished the paint on the turret and hand painted the air recognition cross in tamiya xf-2 flat white going for a rough and ready finish. Next I'll start on the chipping and other weathering.

Cheers,

Phantom

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 04:50:54 PM »
G'day guys,

First day off for a while and some more goodies have arrived in the mail. Mainly the Crew commander figure from Verlinden. I normally don't battle my tanks so I like to have a tank commander figure but for some reason Tamiya hasn't provided a figure I was thinking about using the Russian commander figure from tamiya or one of the trumpeter Russian tank figures but these would require some surgery. Fortunately verlinden has stepped in with these two figures. Cost about $45 from ebay. I'm using the tamiya part that is used to mount the battle unit to mount the figure on. I drilled a hole the same size as the pin on the tamiya part and the body just slots right in. The pics show the parts just tacked together with blu tack just to get an idea of fit.

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
Nice crew kit... 8) 8)

Reaper332

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2014, 08:35:04 AM »
Nice mate..... ;D ;D Its going to look the goods when done.

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2014, 04:17:41 PM »
Quick update,

Been playing around with the weathering on bits and pieces finished the weathering on the tools, started doing the rust/chips on the turret and committed to the pigments on the underside of the hull went with the European dust pigment will see how I go with it.

Cheers,

Phantom

Offline TANKBOY

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Jupiter
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2014, 05:18:35 PM »
Cool i love the crew and your making great progress, looking forward to the finished product  8)
1/16 TAMIYA M26 PERSHING ,1/16 TAMIYA KING TIGER ,1/16 TAMIYA KV 2  ,1/16 TAMIYA PANZER 4 ,1/16 TAMIYA SHERMAN ,1/16 TAMIYA TIGER 1, 1/16 TAMIYA LEOPRAD AS1

Offline Phantom_Maloo

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2014, 03:44:17 PM »
Been a while since my last update. Covering extra shifts while people are on annual leave has eaten into my spare time also with the weather being so brilliant these last few weeks I've dusted off my fast electric boat which has been in dry dock since March. Only managed to do a few things during some downtime on nights mainly the weathering on the fuel tanks. Going to try and finish the weathering on the upper deck so I can finish all the fiber optic stuff.
Cheers,

Phantom