New Page 1

Author Topic: Sturmtiger !!  (Read 8169 times)

Offline Majordisastor

Re: Sturmtiger !!
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 07:48:53 AM »
LITTLE BIT MORE

Ok ... Continuing along with the rocket launcher/gun.

BB Unit has now well and truly left the party...

Not a web camera, office pen now replaces the BB barrel and the whole assembly has been stuck screwed and filled..

I retained the top of the BB unit as the moulded slide forms the mounting point for the Matorro elevation assembly.

It needed to be reinforced by plastic card as the Matorro plastic is quite brittle and all structural strength for the arm went out of the window with the cutting out of the BB gun.

Scale Sturmtiger missile that will be fitted into the mouth of the muzzle. Apparantly it was standard practice to travel with these in position. Although the ' one up the spout ' was given extra waterproofing as water ingress was an issue with the rockets.

On to the cast mantlet ....

Above is the original Matorro mantlet with it production run barrel counterweight. Not bad at all with a fair likeness to the Prototype mantlet.

Replacement resin mantlet....almost...Its the barrel sides that makes the difference.

This is the one - look at the reduction on the outer wall..

Yep,

I have a choice of three ... From left to right, Prototype, Production version - no lugs for counter weight, and the final version with fitted counterweight.

I need the first one.

My new resin cast mantlet compared to the original.

There we are compared to the original .. a bit of fettling is required to make the resin cast a closer shape to the prototype ... and funnily enough to make the cast resin look a bit more cast...

Stage one underway.

Drilling out the rocket exhaust tubes to a greater depth...

Creating a more cast finish to the cast...really...

As I was drilling holes Idecided to drill out the mounting bolt hole on the Feifil air filter system.

I would have preferred to fit the earlier design of filter to Helga's rear plate ...

I really like this early pattern as I think they are more unusual compared to the more common later design that appears on all Heng Long and Taigen models - and the standard early Tamiya as well. These a re from the DAK Tiger sprue.

But as the photograph shows it was the later oval design that was fitted to the Prototype.

Damm...............

Varity is the spice of life ....but too much gives you wind.........

Online Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »
Great work Andy..... 8) 8) 8)

Cheers Damo

Offline Herr Dr. Professor

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2016, 12:20:19 PM »
Andy Majordisastor: this build is knocking me out!  The photos of your 1/16 Sturmkatze and of the 1/1 prototype Sturmtiger fascinate me.  Your skills are causing me a modeler inferiority complex, and your idea to include a model of the 'one up the spout' makes me a jealous fool.  Keep up the great work.  I am calling your build to the attention of other modelers whose skills I admire. 

I wonder about two things:
  • Do you have a list of the books and/or other sources you are using for information and photos of the real Sturmtiger?
  • In the following photo, does there seem to be some kind of sleeve around the whole barrel of the rocket mortar?  It seems to me to show around the front edge.  Am I seeing this correctly?[/font][/size]
Ed
a.k.a. Herr Dr. Professor

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2016, 05:14:25 AM »
Gosh - Thanks Ed..

I am just having a bit of fun here with bits of plastic on the kitchen worktop.  :)

As far as reference material goes I have

Tiger I and Sturmtiger in Detail. Ryton books Bruce Culver and Uwe Feist. ISBN10 1930571348

Wydawnictwo Militaria 188- Sturmtiger   https://www.scribd.com/document/210229770/Wydawnictwo-Militaria-No-188-Sturmtiger

Elefant Jagdtiger Sturmtiger -by Wolfgang Schneider

Sturmtiger and Sturmpanzer in combat by Waldemar Trojca

Toranado - Military Technical series 162

And of course searches on the internet that often throws up some nice stuff..

So glad you noticed the lip around the launcher mouth..... It is in hand ....

Andy

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2016, 10:02:52 AM »
Thank you for the list of books.  I have at least one of them, but you have tipped me off on some more.  I have two Taigen Sturmtiger, both waiting for my modest skills.  Actually, the Sturmtiger appeals to me as a kind of fortress on wheels.
Ed

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2016, 10:38:14 PM »
Sorry missed this little gem out ..

The Modeler's Guide to the Tiger Tank: A Complete and Comprehensive Guide to Modeling the Tiger I and Tiger II in 1/35th Scale

ISBN-10: 1932033785
ISBN-13: 978-1932033786

Sadly its been out of print for a long time. If you ever see a copy on E-bay or anywhere else for that matter, snap it up.

It does come up from time to time but its as rare as rocking horse droppings. It great because it covers all the little detail changes that the tigers underwent during their factory production.

Very handy for a Tiger build, handy as well for a Sturmtiger hull - even better if you have two on your hands....

Andy

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2016, 11:28:43 PM »
More Mantlet Work.....

First of all, a quick test fit of the resin Sturmtiger rocket itself. All good so far ...

Next up is a session of test fitting the mantlet to the ball assembly. Red primer used as a quick check to see if the plan is working - and to show up any imperfections that a re bound to crop up with all the sanding, filling and filing.

Ok so far so good...

Test fitting of the  ball mount itself and I added some more missing detail to the top of the ball...

Getting a bit more of a feel for it now ..but something just didn't look as right as I would like it to be ...

So a bit more fettling is in order I feel.....

I plated the muzzle barrel with plastic card in order to create the lip around the outer muzzle lip.

That had the knock on effect of needing to add some filler to blend the new card parts to the resin mantlet again.

A bit of sanding and checking, sanding and checking - you get the idea...

Ok - I am happy its going the right way at the moment...

Andy

Offline wobbly

• Operation Greenline
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »
What a great build and thread doing a fantastic job very enjoyable and informing  8)
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2016, 10:00:11 AM »
Here's what I could dig up on the Sturmtiger titles.  The Culver and Feist and the Schneider are both readily available and not too expensive.  Others are a bit more expensive.  Though inexpensive, Tornado title is only available used, and I found one on Argentina eBay.

Culver, Bruce, and Uwe Feist.  [iT]iger I and Sturmtiger in Detail[/i]. Ryton Books, 2008, ISBN10 1930571348.  https://smile.amazon.com/Tiger-Sturmtiger-Detail-Bruce-Culver/dp/1930571348/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482880568&sr=1-2&keywords=Culver%2C+Bruce%2C+and+Uwe+Feist.

Ledwoch, Janusz. No. 293 - Sturmtiger Maus - Tank Power Vol. LXIII  Wydawnictwo Militaria 188.  Wydawnictwo Militaria, 2008. 13: ISBN 978-8372192936.  https://www.scribd.com/document/210229770/Wydawnictwo-Militaria-No-188-Sturmtiger] [url]https://www.scribd.com/document/210229770/Wydawnictwo-Militaria-No-188-Sturmtiger[/url]; https://smile.amazon.com/No-293-Sturmtiger-Power-LXIII/dp/8372192936/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482879346&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Wydawnictwo+Militaria+188-+Sturmtiger

Schneider, Wolfgang. Elefant Jagdtiger Sturmtiger.  Schiffer Publishing Ltd., 1990.  ISBN 978-0887402395.  https://smile.amazon.com/Elefant-Jagdtiger-Sturmtiger-Rarities-Schiffer/dp/0887402399/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482880668&sr=1-4&keywords=Schneider%2C+Wolfgang

Trojca, Waldemar and Markus Jaugitz.  Sturmtiger and Sturmpanzer in combat.  Model Hobby, 2008.  ISBN 978-8360041291.  https://smile.amazon.com/Sturmtiger-Sturmpanzer-Combat-Waldemar-Trojca/dp/8360041296/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482879502&sr=1-1&keywords=Sturmtiger+and+Sturmpanzer+Waldemar+Trojca

Sturmtiger. Tornado - Military Technical series 162. 
Ed

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2016, 11:43:21 PM »
Hi Ed,

I have sent a pm message to you ...

Andy  :)

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 12:00:36 AM »
OK just a quick move away from the mantlet reworking for the moment...

Time to make some holes....

For these, side casement pistol ports..

Enlarged to fit a set of these little fellows....

Nice snug fit to keep the draughts out...

From Rc de Tank lovely !!

Next up is to start to add some of the characteristic detail that will put the Sturm in the Sturmtiger...

These are the mounting points for the distinctive conical bolts that bolted the casement to the lower hull..

Pre drilling the bolt holes and using templates here for the sake of inaccuracy.....

On this shot of the rear citadel bolts you can just make out the piece of emery board I placed underneath the template to stop the plastic on plastic from shifting just when you really didnt want it to ...

Another hole drilling exercise with a variation this time ..

Here I am working on the lower front filler plates. The lower hole is in real life a metal pin and plug method. So... small hole to start ...

Enlarge and plug with cut down sprue tree... Panther wheel sprue in this case ...others are available ...

After the liquid glue sets ...trim down and ...

I should add I pushed the sprue down into the hole for the required recess that this plate required.

Bit of trimming on the other side but that's a small matter ...

The same process was followed for the upper citadel - only these plugs need to stand out a touch.

Still a way to go yet....thanks for sticking with me so far....

Andy

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 03:02:05 AM »
A little progress on the mantlet...

From this ....

To this....

Coming along a bit....

Andy

Offline Chris

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2017, 08:05:31 PM »
Loven the extra extra detailing you're putting into the Sturmy she's going to look awesome when your finished that's for sure.😎😎😎😎
Cheers Chris

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2017, 11:49:31 PM »
Thanks Chris!!

And Now..........

Old chicken meal tub.....other flavours are available, avoid anything in a barbecue sauce though it sticks like a sticky thing .....

A few deft cuts to start the ball rolling .......

Where am I going with this ???

Yep you got it .....

Rifling detail for the Mortar ...its a big old hole that I felt needed a lift...

Stuck in with Industrial Superglue ....

Added a bit more cast detail as well.....

Coming along....

Andy

Offline wobbly

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2017, 06:12:38 AM »
Really really? how do you even think of that?, that is truly very clever good job mate nice detail! 8)
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2017, 06:31:10 AM »
Well it was a a bit of an experiment really....

I tried first of all thin plastic strips cut at an angle of 60 degrees but they were too inflexible and created a flat finish between the rifling lines..

I put a few in but it was a real drudge to do, an exercise I felt that would drive you mad. >:(

I had some thin brass sheet that would work but it was tougher to score the thicker lines into.

This seemed to me to be the quickest and cheapest route to go down.

Another plus is - if you mess it up - what have you lost?  It was in my recycling bin after all...

Online Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2017, 07:45:22 AM »
Fantastic detail, you're spot on, it has lifted the appearence that little bit extra...... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Cheers Damo

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2017, 01:05:41 PM »
The rifling in the launcher shows up distinctly in vintage photos, so your clever detailing is a remarkable improvement in addition to the casting texture.
Ed

Offline AFV Aficionado

• Operation PM
  • Town/City: Hamilton & Te Awamutu
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »
I like what you're doing with this, brilliant execution of the rifling plug.
Did you see the Armortek post (or my post - reply #78 - http://www.hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=239.75 - ), or was it a case of Great minds?

Anyway, very nice.
Also spotted that there's a 3D printed Morser available  - http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=sturmtiger&type= - though it's not cheap.

Mal
HL M41A3 X 6.5 - NZ M41A1 MERDC, AVRNZE, 3 X Barely touched, T50 ARV WIP - 6 wheel hull, Taigen M41A3
HL M26 - MERDC Dots & HL M26A1
2 X Bruder MB Actros Low Loader - 4 axle, Bruder MAN TGA
Ultimate Soldier 1/18th M113A2 X 2
Spyder Works 1/16th FV101 Scorpion
Ludwig Centurion III

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 09:40:56 AM »
Oh my gosh, Mal and Andy: I am blown away by the work you two do!  I suspect you both have some machining experience and some machine tools hiding about the place. ;)  Believe me, the average Ph.D. does not provide those skills.
Ed

Offline scalawag

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2017, 03:01:52 PM »
Coming along very nicely Andy.  Always a joy to watch your modelling skills in action.

Paul
A member of: WMTC, SWAG, SEAG and SET in the UK
1/16: Pzr III, Tiger I (early), Tiger I (mid/late), M4A3 75mm, M4A3 105mm, ZTZ99a, Leopard 2A6, Leopard 1A5, M1A2 Abrams, M2A1 Bradley IFV, Challenger 2, JGSDF Type 10.
1/72: Challenger 1, M1A1 Abrams, T 72 M1, JGSDF Type 10.

Offline Snaps

• Shot over......shot out
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2017, 05:16:13 PM »
Some damn fine work there  :) :)

Cant wait to see the finish
A division aint enough HL Pzrs IIIx2, IV, Vx2, VI Early,Mid, Late, KV I, Pershingx2, Stug III, JagdPanther, Matorro Jagdtiger, Sturmtiger, Sherman, WSN T34x2, Profiline KV-85, Tamiya Kubelwagen, Leopard A4, Eduard Schwimmwagen, Kirin....Verlinden.......Dragon 1/6 Jeep with 37mm A/T

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 01:09:32 AM »
Thanks Guys !!

Its will be back on the bench this week - some dull stuff to do before I post...

Andy  ;)

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2017, 09:48:29 PM »
So ......

Time to address some dull interior work....

I decided to fit an inner tray that would support all the electrics and incorporate a speaker as well.

It fits in here ....

Like so....

Starting to add a speaker as well..

Here we are ...taken from a scrap flat screen television, its exactly the same as the one Tamiya use.

Starting to take shape a bit now ...

Thought it might be prudent to add a cover to protect the speaker cone.

Plastic card, superglue and a cut up fat guard for a frying pan seemed to do the job.

Whilst I was at it I decided to add an intake fan as well.

More to come .....

Offline wobbly

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2017, 08:42:58 AM »
Cool looking good 8) mate