New Page 1

Author Topic: T-55A  (Read 779 times)

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
T-55A
« on: February 09, 2017, 08:34:02 PM »
Hi All, My T-55A landed today, so here's an introduction into the build.

The unboxing.

Now, everyone has heard about Hooben's less than impressive track record with their foray into 1/16 RC tanks. However, they've lifted the bar substantially with their re-release T-55A.

I've gotta say I'm so far impressed. So here we go.

First up The box art. Then drive sprockets and idlers both of which are very well cast and cleaned up, no faults so far. Suspension and swing arms are same. Nice rubber tyres too.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Next is the general turret running system, ie elevation, rotation and recoil mech/servo, not to bad and very similar to other systems out there. It might need a tweak here and there to be more durable and long lasting.

Next is the road wheels, they are well molded with little flash or sink marks, they also have bearings to be fitted. Some supplied tools and track components.

Next is the Gun tube, single piece turned aluminium and very nice. A log which is a little to perfect for use really though a great try from Hooben, if I decide to use a log it will come from the back yard, something a little more natural looking..... ::)

And the tracks, I put about 16 links together and although they are good detail I'm going metal....After all the tanks I've done I should have known better.... :-[anyway.....

The sprues are very well molded and the plastic used is a lot more robust than previous versions I've seen.

The gear boxes are fairly well built bearings throughout and cogs well made however the motors are a little cheap but that's an easy fix. there's also a nice mounting plate.

Next bit is the hull upper,lower and turret shell. All of which are very well molded as well. It will need some structural bracing which is indicitive of all plastic lower hulls. On the whole a big tick... :)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

There's well supplied decals for all sorts of different nations and eras.

The instructions are very similar to Tamiya in that you get a brief of the vehicle and it's variants and uses then build instructions.

I reckon at this point that Hooben really have lifted their game compared to previous issues of the model, everything looks good for a fairly easy build and mod, new metal tracks are on order.

I'm looking forward to this build as it will go well with my Leo 1 and Gepard.

Let the build begin Cheers Damo

Offline wobbly

• Operation Greenline
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
Re: T-55A
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 07:12:04 AM »
Hey happy new tank Damo sure you'll do it justice and look forward to the build what Nation do you think you'll do and re the log probably a lack of gum trees over there  ::)
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline AFV Aficionado

• Operation PM
  • Town/City: Hamilton & Te Awamutu
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 07:45:13 AM »
Hi Damo
Good to hear Hooben have improved. Had wondered what those rubber tyres were from - Chris includes them in the Centurion kit. Removing the ridges from them is a real pain, but you shouldn't have that problem.
Will keep an eye on your build

Mal
HL M41A3 X 6.5 - NZ M41A1 MERDC, AVRNZE, 3 X Barely touched, T50 ARV WIP - 6 wheel hull, Taigen M41A3
HL M26 - MERDC Dots & HL M26A1
2 X Bruder MB Actros Low Loader - 4 axle, Bruder MAN TGA
Ultimate Soldier 1/18th M113A2 X 2
Spyder Works 1/16th FV101 Scorpion
Ludwig Centurion III

Offline maxmekker

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 09:18:16 AM »
Looking fw to see this coming together .

After I made the soundset for the Clark TK60 ready I really want to dig into this one my self .

! No longer available

Were did you pick up yours from?

Offline Herr Dr. Professor

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 09:18:38 AM »
I'm watching, too, Damo.  You never know: maybe my money tree will shake in a few months.
Ed
a.k.a. Herr Dr. Professor

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 04:17:48 PM »
Cheers Guys,

Wobbly, not sure yet I'll do the research during the build though I may go for something around the same era as the Leo 1A4 and Gepard
             were in active service and even that's not set in stone if I find something out of the box....... :D

Mal, it's vastly improved

Stian, from DKLM mate. Metal tracks from Patrick at Hobby Summit

Cheers Damo                                       

Offline darthgeoff

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 07:13:14 PM »
Hey damo
Iv just finished my t55 in rhodesian colours they were captured by South Africa and given to the Rhodesians.its a good build you have to file metal bits to fit nicely but it's a solid tank have no issues at all.if you have any questions about it let me know,catch ya later
Geoff

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 08:15:46 PM »
Thanks Geoff, I do have a question, the GB fit off is a bit vague how'd you go fitting the GBs to the base plate as most of the fix points are under gears, must admit I haven't spent much time in that part of the build yet though, I do have it at almost a roller stage..... ::)

Cheers Damo

Offline darthgeoff

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 06:31:19 PM »
Yea I do remember that it was a bit lob sided and I had to make sure the correct studs were installed so the gb was parallel to the base.it toke me a couple of goes but I think I just made sure it was all tight and went together ok in the end.sorry mate was november last year haha.just use the bearing shaft supports to give you an idea of of how the fit is.hope that makes sense

Offline darthgeoff

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 06:33:41 PM »
Also I think I only used 3 of the 4 screws to secure the boxes as there was no space to get to the screw .

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 07:56:06 PM »
Cheers Geoff, got it sorted now it took a couple of goes and test fits but they're in now all sits nice.

Cheers Damo

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
  • Town/City: Palmerston , N.T.
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 09:03:48 PM »
Top work , looks good so far mate.
"Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty".

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 12:47:56 AM »
Looks to be off to a good start and is in capable hands !!

Looking foreward to watching your progress on this one .....

Andy  :)
Varity is the spice of life ....but too much gives you wind.........

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 09:18:34 PM »
Thanks Yobb and Andy,

So I've finally got to a roller stage. The road wheels are provided with inner bushes and outer case bearings, however the fit for the case bearings at 8mm in the road wheel 7.5mm needed some work so out with the drill press the idlers needed the same treatment. The molding of the road wheels was somewhat sloppy so a little styrene block fixed that on about 50% of the road wheels.

The idler halves rely on a simple press fit and cir-clip (not sure of that spelling) I was a bit unsure, not confident of that method so it's drill and tape time to take M2 machine screws to secure the 2 halves and keep the bearings in place.

Base colour on the wheels and lower hull, outer case bearing in the road wheels and stub axles fitted ready for fitting to the hull.

And finally a roller with some minor upper hull fit off.

The plastic tracks are temporary until the metals arrive from Patrick at Hobby Summit.

Cheers
Damo

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 09:29:38 PM »
Good progress.

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
Yipee, Metal tracks have arrived, on with the build... :D

Cheers Damo

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 04:54:42 PM »
Hi Damo
Good to hear Hooben have improved. Had wondered what those rubber tyres were from - Chris includes them in the Centurion kit. Removing the ridges from them is a real pain, but you shouldn't have that problem.
Will keep an eye on your build

Mal

Hey Mal,

I've since found out they're T34 tyres and I haven't found any pics yet of the T55s wearing them, early T54s ran a very similar running gear to T34s ie tracks and drive sprocket so that may be a link and it's why both 54s and 55s have the track pin wedge on the side of the hull.

I won't be altering my tyres though... :D

Cheers
Damo

Offline VonRundstedt

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 05:01:10 PM »
Tracks look great Damo, looking forward to seeing this at a battleday soon.

Offline AFV Aficionado

• Operation PM
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »
Hi Damo
Ditto on the good looking tracks. So the tyres are from the T34 - cool, still haven't done much on mine

Mal
HL M41A3 X 6.5 - NZ M41A1 MERDC, AVRNZE, 3 X Barely touched, T50 ARV WIP - 6 wheel hull, Taigen M41A3
Ludwig Centurion III

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 06:33:56 PM »
Cheers guys,

So I took the T-55 tracks to the weekend battle meet for a bit of show and tell and the boys were quite surprised to learn that these particular tracks are double pinned....

That meaning, knurled at the outer end and pushed in from either side of the track link, I personally haven't ever come across this type of design before in 1/16 scale after market metal tracks. You normally have your usual suspects, ie, closed pin (Impact type) whereby you have the pin pushed in from one side of the track and sealed at the other with no visible pin and usually very difficult to remove and the open pin type which by virtue is open both ends.

The following pics show the pins semi in so the knurl is clear to see the other is the spare links that came with the delivery. A different material for the links and a single, knurled at one end track pin, which most of us are used to.

Hope this helps to clarify a little on differing after market track types.

Cheers Damo

Offline AFV Aficionado

• Operation PM
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 07:45:59 AM »
Interesting. Haven't seen that before, either. I wonder if that would make it easier to loose a pin?
I'm pretty sure the real ones have a single pin, and a spur in line with the track that knocks them back in, to make sure they don't get lost, as they go round. Think the yanks copied that trick on to the early Abrams as they had the same issue.

Mal
Ludwig Centurion III

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 05:55:20 PM »
Yeah Mal, they do pop out a bit to easy for my liking, some are missing the knurl so more pins are on the way. The later/current track pins on the real machine are a single pin with a retaining nut and rubber washer on either end. The real machines also had a couple of skid plates welded over the return track run to stop track slap on rough terrain.

So some details yesterday, some handles on the fuel tanks and fuel lines. Also had to add some retaining points on the tanks, for whatever reason they are missing on one end of some of the tanks.

Cheers
Damo

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 07:31:31 PM »
Great detail work , really adds to her.

Offline wobbly

• Operation Greenline
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 09:34:26 AM »
Yeah wow nice work mate the devils in the detail
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline AFV Aficionado

• Operation PM
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 12:52:59 PM »
Nice. I wonder what size the handholds are - had the chance to measure both M41 & Sabre ones at the weekend, & yes they're different sizes - working on doing a post about that. Guess Russian one's would be different again?

Mal
Ludwig Centurion III