New Page 1

Author Topic: ZTZ 99 - A Reworking Build ...  (Read 446 times)

Offline Majordisastor

ZTZ 99 - A Reworking Build ...
« on: February 15, 2017, 02:39:05 AM »
Hi folks...  Not exactly a snappy title but all will become clear as pondwater..

So lets start off with a few gentle shots of my Heng Long ZTZ 99 - or really a 98 if you really are counting the rivets - or spaced armour in this case..

This was one of the early batches of ZTZ. It did not come with the rear mounted fuel tanks.

It did not have the additional armour packs..it was a sort of  'No Fun' version...

It was quite a change for me ...I usually favour WW2 Armour and tigers in particular - but - I really liked its lines ...

Good bit of detail and it was back then the first of a newer generation of Heng Longs with more attention to additional detail work..

I started to add a few bits from the sprue trees ....

Some bits slipped through quality control though...

Nothing you could not fix though ....

I even treated myself to the additional armour packs...

Fortunatly it contained no Sherman parts...

B

But even as I started to carry out some improvements .....A darker plan was beginning to form.

Andy  ;)

Varity is the spice of life ....but too much gives you wind.........

Offline wobbly

• Operation Greenline
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
Re: ZTZ 99 - A Reworking Build ...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 08:17:34 AM »
Mmm a darker plan you say look forward to thay  8)
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
  • Town/City: Palmerston , N.T.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 11:01:32 AM »
Following this one, I like the ztz's.
"Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty".

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 12:12:28 AM »
Yobbo wrote ....

Following this one, I like the ztz's.

I think you will be in for a bit of a shock with  this one..... :o
Andy

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »
I like it already. ;D

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 07:23:27 AM »
Okay ....enough of wandering around the outside of the ZTZ and time to start pulling it apart ....

Zinc gearboxes providing motive power at the moment ...

Dirt shows it has not just been siting around on a shelf .. it has run on the battlefields and was active at the SWAG happy Jakes course. It worked well up to a point when its lighter weight and rear wheel drive made it a bit pants at a hill cimb.

Turret rotation is far too slow for a modern tank as well...

Backing off the screws that hold the rear engine plate on. Construction wise the ZTZ is pretty solid old tub..

If you look at the battery box you can see that although the ZTZ is a long tank- its not a deep tank.

Stripped out and giving a refreshing bath in washing up liquid - lemon I think - its time to plan a few little tweaks .

The front idler mounts are a cause for concern ...without a solid fitting I can imagine they would run the risk of bowing out under strain. Especialy if metal tracks are used ..

I think I need to mull over that a bit more ...

The gearbox at the rear is fine - but I have a plan forming already to alter this area already .

The Battery box is lined up for a bit of space saving amendments as well ..

Nice suspension detail and the factory suspension seemed to work pretty well.

Staying underneath the fixed hedge cutter/plough is captured nicely ...

Track wheel casualty ...

On the to do list..

More to follow ....

Andy

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:20:34 AM »
Good start.

Offline wobbly

• Operation Greenline
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 08:45:17 AM »
Nice should have that lemon fresh smell for the crew  8)
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 12:39:53 AM »
OK. Here we go . ...please fasten your seat belt and keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times - it starts to get a bit bumpy from now on .

Battery box .....Gone for now - along with the bottom switches mountings and apetures and some redundant posts and fixtures -

Plastic swarf and fillingsfrom the cutting process melted with liquid glue moulds and welds itself to become part of the tank once again..

A bit of plating up inside the lower hull ...

Scrap offcuts maks it serviceable - but not pretty..

Adds a bit of strength..and evens up the moulded uneven floorplan for further development.

And - a taster of what will be coming along later on ...

Andy  ;)

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 02:39:20 AM »
Coming along nicely Andy.Are you going to use metal running gear ?

Cheers Damo

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 03:00:09 AM »
Not sure yet Damo, I am planning  to stick with the standard plastic to see how she runs after I have re worked the idlers and gearbox mounts.

There are quite a few changes in the pipline ...

Andy

Offline Herr Dr. Professor

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 04:14:31 AM »
I am looking forward to learning what you do about the idler mounting area.  I lost my first Königstiger to the problem of the idler bowing so badly the tracks would jump out of alignment.  Then I saw that replacing the broken hull and upgrading the running gear and tracks would cost more than a whole new (albeit el cheapo) plastic HengLong Königstiger.  Since I already had a Taigen Königstiger by then, I scavanged every part I could save off the plastic HengLong to add to the "lemme see; I think I got one a doze somewhere" box.
Ed
a.k.a. Herr Dr. Professor

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 04:51:15 AM »
Ouch !!

Andy

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 12:10:01 PM »
Will this be a paper panzer or something real?

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 09:28:16 PM »
Aha !! Excellent- Yobbo - you are the first one to pick up on some of my hints. :D

Well to honest it will sit more in the paper panzer camp - but its not wildly off.

As far as the running gear and other bits are concerned they can be applied to any ZTZ build.

I will explain all as we pick our way through the upcoming carnage ...

Andy

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 10:43:30 PM »
Gun Recoil and elevation clearance Bits and Bobs

Standard ZTZ 98 form - no version of the spaced era armour present at all - and a fixed barrel to deal with...

Turret detached and the shell ejection port opened up...Easy Peasy this bit - it just pops off with a little bit of pressure from inside the turret.

Second Heng Long aerial mount added as well. Note to self - the hatches have some moulding errors to remedy later on.

Next I removed the barrel by chopping it off at the point it joined the mock fabric cover of the mantlets gun mount.

I then turned my attention - or rather my razor saw to the now to be redundant BB gun mech.

A bit of plastic shredding later ...

Those were the bits I did not need, but after all that work I did have this bit to go back into the mantlet....

I then opened up the mantlet aperture to allow the larger barrel end ------er bell end - prehaps taper might be a better word - to pass into the housing.

So far so good and - I have now passed the point of no return - cock this bit up and its back to Duct tape...

Andy

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 02:03:30 AM »
A little bit more ....

So, looking through the mantlet, the original hole for the BB is going to form the basis of the whole operation...

From the rear I re- jigged some angled plastic and card to form the recoil attachment monts that builds up on what left of the remains of the BB gun.

Here we are test fitted to the lower turret half.   If you look at  the top right you can see another built up angle mount.  That provides a fitting for a peice of brass tube that is intended to be a turret mg that will match the main gun direction and elevation.

That comes out through here - later photos of the aperture - later enlarged -will follow...

Test fit of new barrel offcut . I am continuing to use the original Heng Long gun pivots..

So far so good ...

Andy

Offline scalawag

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 02:18:08 AM »
I used a clark recoil unit in my ZTZ when I did the recoil about a year ago now Andy. 

Solid as a rock as it uses the original aluminium inner barrel to connect to the recoil unit.  Direct replacement for the H/L BB unit fitting wise, so no mucking about getting things to fit or work.  It just screws into the mantlet the same as the BB unit does.  Gives you servo recoil and servo elevation which is reliable, and even comes with a servo for the recoil.  It can also be used with any of the H/l elevation motors if that is what you prefer.  Elevation and deflection which can be achieved are excellent too.  Its a no brainer for me these days, I don't know why anyone would mess with anything else for recoil in an H/L based tank.  Combined with an Elmod, Clarke, or IBU control unit a very realistic recoil can be achieved.  Much more realistic than many of those shown in the recent IR battle tank video from Bovington I have seen.  The recoil and return speed can be adjusted independently to give a fast recoil and slightly slower return all perfectly synced with the gun sounds. Just my opinion. 

Here is a video of my ZTZ recoil, this one is on an IBU2 Pro with just a hint of track recoil added too.  I didn't remove the battery box, as I used it to improve the rigidity of the hull.  Its not easy to brace them out when they are this size.  I find that you end up with bracing in areas which means it was pointless removing the battery box.  A hull this size needs bulkheads and longitudinal braces to negate twisting, so why remove a ready made one in my opinion.
So the elevation and deflection in this video is achieved without having to hack the hull around at all and by careful planning of where to put the internals.

https://youtu.be/K8vP5tc7cxo

Shame this is going to be another "paper panzer" ::), they can be made to look great as a ZTZ.  Getting a bit bored of 1/16 tanks which have no historical or future equivalent. 

I thought "paper panzer" related to a design which never came to the prototype stage, IE didn't get past the paper design stage, but now in 1/16 tanks it seems to mean anything someone can dream up or imagine.  Perhaps "Fantasy Panzers" would be a better name for these. Again all just my opinion.

Sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick here with my assumptions about what you are making here, but if you are going to be cryptic about it then you have to expect people to get things wrong sometimes.
A member of: WMTC, SWAG, SEAG and SET in the UK
1/16: Pzr III, Tiger I (early), Tiger I (mid/late), M4A3 75mm, M4A3 105mm, ZTZ99a, Leopard 2A6, Leopard 1A5, M1A2 Abrams, M2A1 Bradley IFV, Challenger 2, JGSDF Type 10.
1/72: Challenger 1, M1A1 Abrams, T 72 M1, JGSDF Type 10.

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 03:45:29 AM »
Hi Scalwag, 

Fantasy tank I think it quite a useful category that you have termed there - I agree the term Paper Panzers should really relate to proposed designs that appeared however loosely on a drawing board.

Many thanks for the info on the Clark system - sounds like its a good and easy fit with quality results as well.

No offence taken at all on my behalf so please don't worry at all about which end of the stick anybody is attempting to grasp..

I did think long and hard about pulling the ztz about but at the end of the day its nce to have a play around outside of the box for a change..

Good video by the way !! :)

Andy