New Page 1

Author Topic: Hmm...what's in these boxes UPDATE 4 June 2017  (Read 948 times)

Offline Herr Dr. Professor

• Able to Hull Down
Hmm...what's in these boxes UPDATE 4 June 2017
« on: February 18, 2017, 04:26:28 AM »
...just arrived here...what could be in these boxes?

82328-0

...any guesses?

82330-1

Ed
a.k.a. Herr Dr. Professor

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
  • Town/City: Palmerston , N.T.
Re: Hmm...what's in these boxes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:17:24 AM »
Good Australian beer because yank beer is cats piss? ;D
"Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty".

Offline biff131

• Town/City: Abermain NSW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »
  ;D I reckon ;D that those box's contain objects that you have fantasized over for ages and decided that in order to maintain your health and sanity you have invested your pocket money in so that your fantasy becomes reality  ;) :D.
Or they contain two silicon rubber sex dolls. Lololol
Biff  8)

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 02:00:40 AM »
Mail order bride .....comes as a kit of parts...

Andy
Varity is the spice of life ....but too much gives you wind.........

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 04:22:28 AM »
Now there were a few good ideas there, gentlemen.  Indeed, most US beers are wretched.  Fortunately, nowadays most towns over about 10,000 population have a "micro brewery," saving the day.  And, indeed, I am looking for a 35 year old astrophysicist who is drop dead gorgeous, crazy about me, and wants to live in a rural college town.  She must, of course, tolerate all my hobbies.

Now back on topic.  Does this hint help?

Ed

Offline Majordisastor

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 04:39:18 AM »
M 10...

Mato, all metal ???

Watch your toes !!

Easier to obtain than 35 year old astrophysicists .......

Andy  :D :D
Varity is the spice of life ....but too much gives you wind.........

Offline wobbly

• Operation Braunschweig
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 09:57:42 AM »
Looking good Herr Doc  8)
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 04:05:00 AM »
Correct-a-mundo, Andy!

Here's the story.  Each month I drive 50 miles to a Southern Wisconsin Armor Preservation Society meeting.  These fellows like 1/35 AFVs of all vintages, but none (yet ;) ) has any 1/16 AFV.  However, they are starting to show some interest.  For 2017 they have their usual modeling contest, competing to see who can create the winning 1/35 Tamiya M10 Wolverine.  My idea is to show up with this all-metal monster when they bring in their contest tanks.

Right now I am reading up on the M10 to learn all I can before starting the paint work and adding markings, figures, and stowage.

Now does anyone have a schematic showing which plug goes where on the Mato board? ???
Ed

Offline Mark

• Administrator
  • Operation Greenline
    • OzArmour
  • Town/City: Brisbane - Northside
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »
Correct-a-mundo, Andy!
Now does anyone have a schematic showing which plug goes where on the Mato board? ???

Hi mate,
If the board came with the tank - I think the metal Mato tanks are fitted with a Clark TK22 board these days.
If so - here is pic for ya and a couple of links to all the info you'll need including a connection diagram or 2.
http://www.clark-model.com/eng/prod_rx20_tu/index.html
http://www.clark-model.com/eng/prod_rx20/index.html

Offline biff131

• Town/City: Abermain NSW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 03:16:43 PM »
 ;) Great buy Ed and great idea about the competition.
At least they will be to see how much bigger your wolverine is compaired to theirs.
Biff  8)

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 10:44:22 AM »
Thank you, Mark!  Apparently the motors, battery cable (and something 90 degrees immediately next to it), the speaker, and volume are already hooked up.  That makes sense, as the lower hull came separately from the upper.  So hookup should now be a snap for me.  I will report back to you when I get some time for a test run.  However, right now Sgt. Schnauzer is demanding attention, and if I do not comply, it's not pretty...

Clark Board Probably

82434-0

Sgt. Schnauzer

82436-1

Ed

Offline Mark

• Administrator
  • Operation Greenline
    • OzArmour
  • Town/City: Brisbane - Northside
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »
Thank you, Mark!  Apparently the motors, battery cable (and something 90 degrees immediately next to it), the speaker, and volume are already hooked up.  That makes sense, as the lower hull came separately from the upper.  So hookup should now be a snap for me.  I will report back to you when I get some time for a test run.  However, right now Sgt. Schnauzer is demanding attention, and if I do not comply, it's not pretty...

No worries mate - and yeah, Sgt. Schnauzer does not look happy  :D

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 10:11:56 AM »
While I am slowly hooking up cables on my Mato M10, you might enjoy this WWII propaganda video: https://youtu.be/v7SL8ZVOyAw
Ed

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 10:01:48 AM »
After a significant amount of nail biting and head banging, ??? I got all the plugs in the Clark TK22 board correctly.  Then I discovered that to the Chinese, to "put the lever down" is not the same as pushing it to the "bottom."  So everything works.  I may still have some problems with throwing tracks, but I have been using the tank on a rug and its weight may be too much.  (The track tension is adjustable, and it's all the way out now.  I can probably get more range of adjustment by taking out one link and relaxing the adjustment.)

Here's are a few photos of the naked M10.

Ed

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 10:05:06 AM »
...and here is a shot with the metal 50 cal. and some of the resin SOL stowage I have for the project.  At this stage, I am still reading up on the M10 and looking for ways to convincingly attach "footman's loops"--the little loops to which the crew could attach packs, etc.

Ed

Offline wobbly

• Operation Braunschweig
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »
Cool now you play nice and don't run over the little M 10's your friends will have  ;)
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline AFV Aficionado

• Operation PM
  • Town/City: Hamilton & Te Awamutu
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 12:52:06 PM »
Hi Prof
Re the footmans - you might have to drill holes for them like I had to do on my M113's - their upper hull is metal too & yes it cost a few drill bits. Though if you're adding them to the turret, the tails will show on the inside, so you might be better off super gluing those ones?
If you do drill, make a jig sheet (2 holes in a brass sheet) so that they'll all equally spaced.

Mal
HL M41A3 X 6.5 - NZ M41A1 MERDC, AVRNZE, 3 X Barely touched, T50 ARV WIP - 6 wheel hull, Taigen M41A3
HL M26 - MERDC Dots & HL M26A1
2 X Bruder MB Actros Low Loader - 4 axle, Bruder MAN TGA
Ultimate Soldier 1/18th M113A2 X 2
Spyder Works 1/16th FV101 Scorpion
Ludwig Centurion III

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 07:04:00 AM »
Thanks, Mal.  You may have saved me a great deal of trouble, as I might not have thought to make a jig sheet ??? with correspondingly troublesome results :o.  A fellow in Canada is selling on ebomb two different sizes of pre-made brass footman's loops.  I may pick up some of those.  I also am going to look for some 3" (7.6mm) shells to put inside along the turret's back wall.
Ed

Offline AFV Aficionado

• Operation PM
  • Town/City: Hamilton & Te Awamutu
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 08:00:43 AM »
Hi Prof
Interesting about the pre mades - wonder what size they are, as footman's can come in various sizes 82641-0.
I was slow to catch on to the idea of a jig, too - but makes it much easier to attain equality.

3 inch is 76.2mm, 7.6mm is .308in, somewhat different - you've got to watch those decimal points. A bit liike the German 8.8cm = 88mm in English.

Mal
HL M41A3 X 6.5 - NZ M41A1 MERDC, AVRNZE, 3 X Barely touched, T50 ARV WIP - 6 wheel hull, Taigen M41A3
HL M26 - MERDC Dots & HL M26A1
2 X Bruder MB Actros Low Loader - 4 axle, Bruder MAN TGA
Ultimate Soldier 1/18th M113A2 X 2
Spyder Works 1/16th FV101 Scorpion
Ludwig Centurion III

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 11:19:30 AM »
"3 inch is 76.2mm, 7.6mm is .308in, somewhat different - you've got to watch those decimal points."  Oops!  Put it down to old age. :-[  Thanks for the image on specs. for footman's loops.  The fellow who has ready made ones for sale is Dean Godin of Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.  His web page is http://dgsselkirk.wixsite.com/dgsmilitaryhobby   However, I only find the footman's loops on eslay at http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-1-18-Tank-And-Other-Vehicles-Brass-Tie-Downs-15-size-small-/172424830772?hash=item2825521f34:g:U1QAAOSwmLlYAtO3 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-1-18-Tank-And-Other-Vehicles-Copper-Tie-Downs-15-size-Large-/172376400765?hash=item28226f237d:g:6JoAAOSwzaJYAtKc
Ed

• Able to Hull Down
Re: Hmm...what's in these boxes update 3/23/2017
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 01:01:11 PM »
Amid other projects, I have been fiddling a bit with the Mato M10 Tank Destroyer, pictured above.  It has the T74 tracks.  In test after test, on any surface, or even with the tracks raised off the ground, the tank persisted in throwing tracks off the outside of the drive sprockets. 

In fact, in testing, two of the track horns (cast as part of the external links) broke off.  Changing out the links/horns is troublesome, for the design of lower hull prevents the tracks from being removed except by separating the links--even with the drive sprocket and idler removed.   Worse yet, the link pins do not drift out easily.  I had to saw one link apart to separate the track and then roll the track off.  Now I am finding that the spare links shatter readily when I try to re-attach the links pins.

I have contacted Mato through their question page (http://www.matotoys.com/question.php).  So far, I have received no reply.

It seems to me that the lower hull on the M10 is identical to that on the all-metal Mato Sherman.  Do any of you have experience with these all-metal Mato Shermans and tracks?
Ed

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »
Some bad luck luck there mate.
Hopefully someone on here can help out.

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 12:36:14 PM »
Well, today (Sunday March 26, 2017), I managed to get the problem track back together, although not before four more track links shattered, whether tapped together with great care or pressed carefully in a tiny vise.  I tested the track, and it ran well when raised free of the surface.  Then I ran the tank on a concrete floor.  All went well for about 40 feet, until, with a snap, the track separated and rolled forward.  The effect was realistic, just as in WWII photos.  I laughed 'til I cried.

Both of the links I used shattered.  It seems as if the metal is just too brittle.  Stay tuned--and if you have any experience with Mato Sherman metal tracks, please let me know.
Ed

• Able to Hull Down
Re: Hmm...what's in these boxes update 4/8/2017
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 07:22:04 AM »
Via email I heard from a Miss "Cherry" at Mato customer service.  Here is a photo of the M10 with the broken track link as I sent it to Mato.

83631-0

Mato asked me in the email if these are the parts I need, promising to send them and saying that "he factory has improved the quality of the material. I think the problem will be solved. "

83633-1

Needles to say, I am on nins and poodles, eager to receive the links and pins and to anxious see if the problem is solved so I can get on with the build.

More anon...

Ed

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
Re: Hmm...what's in these boxes update 4/8/2017
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 05:28:12 PM »
You got any jam on this beast yet mate?