New Page 1

Author Topic: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts Latest Update Aug. 19, 2017  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Herr Dr. Professor

• Able to Hull Down
Re: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts Update 3/16/2017
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2017, 06:40:22 AM »
I am working on a Taigen Sturmgeschütz III, still learning before taking on my custom resin M3 or Mato metal M10. :-\  The original paint job is Taigen's. The alterations I made are to remove and repaint the hand tools, cables, and a few other accessories.  The tools and accessories I removed I then painted as if they were off the tank when the camouflage was sprayed on.

Any accessories I did not remove (e.g. the jack and jack block) I repainted as if the crew had simply sprayed over them with the camouflage color.  Then I weathered with MiG Dust and/or a Pan Pastel medium gray.  The tracks are Tamiya Light Gun Metal and heavy MiG Track Wash.  I applied Testor's Glosscote where the decals were to go, added Peddinghouse Balkenkreuze decals, and sprayed the whole tank with multiple coats of Testor's Dullcote.  As you can see, the decals still silvered.  So I went over the decals again with some Pan Pastel medium gray and re-coated the flat coat, but doing so did not help.   >:( :(

I now want to avoid having to use a gloss paint to get the wash to run around the deep lines defining the hatches.  So I have in mind an experiment in place of a wash for the closed hatches.  I will let you know how my experiment works.

After that I will consider some stowage.  Do you have any stowage recommendations?

The tank has metal motors, drive sprockets, and idlers.  It has standard Taigen (HengLong) sound, but I may upgrade it someday, as I have an Elmod around, and I am becoming more familiar with the Clark TK22.

Here are some photos.  Click on them to expand them a bit.

83033-0

83035-1

83037-2

83039-3

83041-4
Ed
a.k.a. Herr Dr. Professor

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
  • Town/City: Palmerston , N.T.
Re: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts update 3/16/17
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2017, 08:07:51 AM »
Loos great Proff' , top work on that beast.
"Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty".

Offline VonRundstedt

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2017, 08:28:27 PM »
Very nice Stug professor, shame the decals gave you a hard time. I usually avoid them where I can as I prefer to paint my numbers and insignia on with stencils. I have found though if you use a sharp scalpel you can cut all the excess layer away from the decal so you are only applying what you want to see. It can be tricky with rounded subjects but with German crosses etc its fairly straight forward, just use a ruler and cut as close as you can to the decal. Cheers.

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2017, 05:02:43 AM »
Yes, VonRundstedt, had I only known....  Peddinghouse decals are notorious for breaking up if soaked too long or if one uses too much setting solution on them.  In fact, I first applied the decal to the fire extinguisher, cutting it closely.  As I lay it on the fire extinguisher casting, the decal began to break into two parts and I had to float it and fiddle it about with setting solution.  So on purpose, I did not cut closely around the printed area of the Balkenkreuze decals, hoping they would hold together.  Some days things just go wrong. ::)
Ed

Online wobbly

• Operation Greenline
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2017, 07:08:38 AM »
Indeed agreed nice Stug Herr Doc love the Camo and as for some days I find it to be most days when modelling  :'(
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

• Able to Hull Down
Re: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts update again 5/16/17
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2017, 12:27:51 PM »
I first showed photos of this M3 Grant last June when it arrived from England.  I finally got back to the Grant a few weeks ago. The upper hull is a resin aftermarket kit, done by Andrew Haya's folks.   The lower hull is stock HengLong Sherman with 2.4 GHz, so there are a number of inaccuracies.  For now, given my need of more practice and the fragility of the upper hull, I decided to leave the tank alone except to paint the bare metal drive sprocket and idler. First I primed with Rust-0-Leum 2X gray primer.  (2X in gray, rust red, or white makes a great base for enamels or acrylics.  On metal it dries fast; on plastic it is best to give it a week's drying time.)  Then I finished the parts with Model Master's version of FS30487 Olive Drab, my favorite.  A bit of baking time in a cool oven (about 60 C; 135 F) hardened the paint on the sprockets and idler.  Then I primed the tracks with the same primer and painted them with Tamiya Light Gun Metal.  Seeing that the finished tracks looked like the same as when they were bare metal, I asked "Why did I do that?"

I hope you are not too disappointed that I did not perform magic surgery on this tank, but sometimes I just like 'em pristine.  I hope to give the Grant a clean British crew and let them parade before the brass.

84400-0
Ed

Online wobbly

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2017, 09:35:31 AM »
Cool I like it I did want to do my Walker Bulldog like that as they were made by Cadillac and thought you can not have a dirty Caddi! but I got talked out of it we ended up weathering it   :o
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2017, 12:34:59 PM »
Despite the "showroom" condition, I would still like to add (besides the crew) tools (clean condition) and a neatly looped tow cable per the photos in the Squadron "M3 Lee and Grant In Action" book.  Yet I will still be severely compromising the accuracy. :-[  There should also be full dust shields, but were I to add these, I would have to make them removable so I could get access to the tracks should I need to do so or find the correct track pads.  There are also many other errors, most noticeably the bogies (return wheels should be right on top as with very early Shermans).
Ed

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2017, 06:03:30 AM »
Well, maybe not all of the Grant tanks had dust shields.  Or perhaps some were damaged in use.  Here is what appears to be a vintage photos of M3 Grants without a dust shield:

84506-0

And here are some restoration photos of Grants without dust shields.

84508-1

84510-2

84512-3

84514-4
Ed

Online biff131

• Town/City: Abermain NSW
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2017, 10:50:02 AM »
Ed have you checked out the sherman tank site at www.theshermantank.com
It shows the different versions of the m3 lee and grant- only used by british  ;D
happy tankin
biff  8)

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »
Biff, I am sorry to be slow to reply; a nasty summer cold kept me dizzy or asleep for nearly five days.  Thank you: I now have the Sherman Tank site bookmarked.
Ed

• Able to Hull Down
Re: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts update 5/25/17
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2017, 08:05:22 AM »
The master fiend of all, eBay, got me a few weeks ago.  I found an inexpensive, base model HengLong M4A3(105) Sherman which a fellow apparently bought cheaply and modified to represent a small hatch British version.  Whether this configuration is authentic or not, I have not yet been able to confirm.  I need to check my increasing number of print and online sources on Shermans.  The small hatch modification is not great, and the paint job looks to be airbrushed Tamiya Dark Yellow with hand brushed black and white.  Crude as it is, I like the little beastie.  I touched up some things here and there, but for now even retained the .50 cal with sagging barrel (probably fired too long by a Hollywood tank commander in some unrealistic film ;)).  Here are some expandable photos.

84648-0

84650-1

84652-2

84654-3

This last photo illustrates what is possible when one lives without a spouse.  One can even keep tanks on the kitchen shelves.  Of course, such choices probably help prevent any chances for future spouses, too. ;D

84656-4
Ed

Online wobbly

• Operation Greenline
Re: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »
Nice good score Herr Doc and something out of the norm I like it!  8)

Offline AFV Aficionado

• Operation PM
  • Town/City: Hamilton & Te Awamutu
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2017, 01:17:41 PM »
Hi Prof
That's not one of Fyndads/Frankie's productions is it?
They're usually pretty good - he posts pics of them on RC Tank Warfare & RC Universe.

Mal
HL M41A3 X 6.5 - NZ M41A1 MERDC, AVRNZE, 3 X Barely touched, T50 ARV WIP - 6 wheel hull, Taigen M41A3
HL M26 - MERDC Dots & HL M26A1
2 X Bruder MB Actros Low Loader - 4 axle, Bruder MAN TGA
Ultimate Soldier 1/18th M113A2 X 2
Spyder Works 1/16th FV101 Scorpion
Ludwig Centurion III

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2017, 03:07:50 AM »
No, Mal, this Sherman was done by a fellow of whom I had never heard, but whose eBay rating was just fine.  Last night I had some time to check about in Ampersand Publishing's Son of Sherman: it turns out that a number of M4A3 (105) tanks were produced in '44 at the Chrysler Defense Plant, and no few were sent out on LendLease, so perhaps there was just such a tank.
Ed

• Able to Hull Down
Re: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts Update 10 August 2017
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2017, 03:39:40 AM »
Since there have been few (but good) new photos as of late, I have simple ones to share.  All are expandable with a click.  These show the Herr Dr. Professor Workshop, accommodating up to five modelers at one time.  The decor is Late 20th Century Really Unfinished Basement.

Here's an overall view of three of the five work spots, these three being occupied by old guys with "season tickets," for weekly Tuesdays and Fridays:

86777-0

These are two photos of the spot for "the Heeb" (based not on his religion, his name), who is currently rescuing a 1/48 B-17 he had for three years given up as a wreck.

86779-1

86781-2

This is the spot for the USMC veteran Agent Orange Eater Steve, who takes most of his stuff home to work on the rest of the week, but is currently on a 1/35 Huey, a 1/35 FlaK 88, a 1/16 HengLong tanker, and I forget what else...

86783-3

Ed

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2017, 03:47:54 AM »
Here is about 1/3 of Herr Doctor Professor's paint supplies, acrylic and enamel spray bombs, acrylic and enamel bottles for brushing and airbrushing, even a stack of old airbrushes and repair parts.  Other paints and supplies are located around the others' spots.  From among these one or two have a perplexing habit of slowly disappearing on Tuesdays and Fridays.  Hmm... ::)

86785-0

And Herr Doc always keeps a few small friends around for company.

86787-1
Ed

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2017, 04:01:04 AM »
For airbrushing and paint bombs, there is a spray booth with filter and forced-air ventilation.  Generally, we just keep the flexible vent pipe stored in its box so the fumes can mix with various glues, thinners, cleaners, etc., providing an enticing atmosphere and the potential for breaking the monotony if the Heeb should decide to light a candle to heat swage a plastic part.

86789-0

Herr Doc. keeps a Nahverteidigungbücherschrank with some of his reference books to settle arguments and prove that he is always correct about any given detail.

86791-1
Ed

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2017, 04:19:38 AM »
Then, too, Herr Doc.'s spot shows a slow start on another HengLong US tanker and a 1/18 FlaK 88.  (Not showing, but in slow progress toward embarrassing results are a stock Henglong German commander, a resin Yugoslavian Chetnik fighter (sans machine gun with recarved right hand) and a stock HengLong Sherman M4A3 105 with a few touch-ups.)

86793-0

And nearby on a third worktable is a chorus line of two Andrew Haya M3 Grants and one Lee, as well as a naked Dunkelgelb Taigen Sturmtiger.  These are just hanging around, wondering if any work will ever be started on them, much less completed.

86795-1

86797-2

Not shown are nearby piles of 1/16 RC tanks, a very few 1/25 RC tanks, 1/18 airplanes, 1/16 farm tractors and implements.  Nor do these show the 900 square foot O gauge train layout, under which are stored trains, more 1/16 RC tanks, and display shelves of 1/18 AFVs, figures, and soft targets.

Herr Doc. is not addicted to toys. ;)
Ed

Online wobbly

• Operation Greenline
Re: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts Latest Update Aug. 10, 2017
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2017, 08:51:24 AM »
Awesome my friend can never have Too many toys  8)

• Able to Hull Down
Re: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts Latest Update Aug. 19, 2017
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »
The following is a "bone stock" HengLong M4A3 (105) with the old crystal RC board and transmitter.  It was one of the first tanks I bought, but just in the past few weeks I gave it a bit of weathering.  I have added rain and dirt streaking, an overall filter to make the OD seem dirtier, some "welded on" angle iron, and boards across the transmission housing to hold stowage (similarly dirty and rain streaked).  Then I painted the stock HengLong tank commander and set him to opening the hatch as if he were watching while about to button up.  Each of the photos is expandable by clicking on it.

87001-0  87003-1

87005-2  87007-3

87009-4  87011-5
Ed

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
  • Town/City: Palmerston , N.T.
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2017, 08:41:06 AM »
Great work on the Sherman and a top figure painting effort , he looks really good.
Pretty sure you have the ammo box on the wrong side of the fifty though? Unless I'm mistaken? Best have a look through you reference library mate.

There's no way Clint and son would have it wrong. :)
"Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty".

Online Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2017, 08:54:28 AM »
That's a classic Heng Long stuff up you could stick a charging handle on the opposite side as they were built in left and right handed configs though mainly for duel mounted/side by side weapons such as M16 AA quad mounts and turrets such as in the bow of PBRs.

Cheers
Damo

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2017, 06:39:28 AM »
Thank you for the correction!  I actually thought the canister could be loaded from either side.  Now I realize that my thinking was a bit cuckoo--not in my case a surprise.  I just wiggled the ammo canister out without any paint damage.  In minutes, I had the canister over on the correct side.

Is there a good reference source on the .50 cal.?  I have done some internet searches over the past few years, but never with satisfactory results.  I could use good close-up photos, information on the exact color for WWII, and even instructions on how the MG works.
Ed