New Page 1

Author Topic: Redid turret to look more like t23 turret looked like  (Read 280 times)

Offline sheridan mech

Redid turret to look more like t23 turret looked like
« on: April 21, 2017, 02:30:08 AM »
The turret cut down is something that needed to be done but after looking at the shape of the turret and the interior of it decided to cut the front sides and reshape them to look more correct. Also cut out Mato commanders copula and replaced with a HL Shemans one which is better detailed then even a Tamiya one. Also did the rain catcher around the copula and the thicker turret top web between the commanders and gunners copulas.
I'll post pics of the completed turret.
The rear of the turret can't be changed much because of hoe thick the elevation unit is.
The whole modification process can be seen at rc tank warfare in the things to fix on your tank forum.

Offline AFV Aficionado

• Operation PM
  • Town/City: Hamilton & Te Awamutu
Re: Redid turret to look more like t23 turret looked like
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 07:51:35 AM »
Nice work. Just missing clear vision blocks - have a look at my M26A1 thread

Mal
HL M41A3 X 6.5 - NZ M41A1 MERDC, AVRNZE, 3 X Barely touched, T50 ARV WIP - 6 wheel hull, Taigen M41A3
HL M26 - MERDC Dots & HL M26A1
2 X Bruder MB Actros Low Loader - 4 axle, Bruder MAN TGA
Ultimate Soldier 1/18th M113A2 X 2
Spyder Works 1/16th FV101 Scorpion
Ludwig Centurion III

Offline Herr Dr. Professor

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:01:04 AM »
"dabbed on a heavy paint coat with brush for cast effect..."  What a brilliant, simple solution.  It looks good!
Ed
a.k.a. Herr Dr. Professor

Offline sheridan mech

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 12:08:27 AM »
AFV, in the past I always did clear vision blocks. They end up looking shiny black anyway so the black paint and coat of clear gloss looks nearly the same.
I worked on real M60's and Sheridans for 7 1/2 years and the vision blocks normally looked black unless something was reflected from them depending on the angle you viewed them. That was usually just a shiny appearance.

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 02:38:19 AM »
Thank you Mal and Sheridan Mechanic for the discussion of vision blocks.  Just last week I had a "discussion" with a modeling friend about the appearance of the masks on 1/35 scuba divers.  He argued for silver. ???  I protested >:(, saying the masks should be clear or black with a high gloss finish.  We settled the matter over pizza after gluing our X-Acto knife wounds shut with cyanoacrylate. ;)
Ed

Offline sheridan mech

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 04:54:39 AM »
Tank vision blocks are made up of many layers of glass to make them more or less bullet proof thus the black look of them. A scuba mask has one pane of glass and is easily seen through to see the face behind it.
In 1/35 scale if the mask is molded on the figure without the face behind it I'd try both ways you describe and use the one that looks best to you.
If the face behind the mask is there it should be painted and a single clear pane (try the stuff model railroaders use to fill in those tiny window frames. Its a thick acrylic that goes on milky looking but dries clear and shiny), use thin coats until the mask is filled and the face behind it should still be visible.

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »
I used the window stuff to cover the face masks on the divers who come with the old 1957 Revell UDT 21-4 kit, a kit I am building for sentimental reasons.  The kit is crude by today's standards, but loaded with memories for me and my X-Acto knife-wielding pal.  I used the window stuff to create lenses on tanks when these are not too large, as, e.g., the lenses in German binocular periscopes.
Ed

Offline sheridan mech

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 01:04:32 PM »
I used it to make copula vision blocks on 1/16 tanks after cutting out the molded in blocks. Found they look the same as painting the original black and then coating with clear gloss so from now on I'll just paint them and not bother with cutting them out.
It does work well for periscopes, goggles, binoculars or anything else that would have a shiny glass in it.