New Page 1

Author Topic: Locomotive Engines----  (Read 2388 times)

BIGMIG

Locomotive Engines----
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:38:36 PM »
I have several brands of lower end engines and bought a few of them new and the others off ebay.One thing i have found is most of the engines off ebay all seem to have the same issue----Missing or broken rubber tires that supplys the traction to a variety of engines.Bought a handfull of these engines with this problem,steam and diesel models.

Tried to find a source for these a year or more ago with no success.They are kind of like a rubber band,but they are not round like a rubber band as they are flat.So far I have only seen a couple on ebay and they were old and most likely would have broken in short order.Like rubber bands age is not their friend. ;)

Going to do some more searching and see what i can find.One problem is these engines all have different sized wheels and these were made for specific models.(i guess)

BIGMIG  :)

Offline slowstartgjh

• GO MAROONS and MBRCTC
Re: Locomotive Engines----
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 07:32:35 PM »
Hi,
Try this website, they may have something, maybe square/rectangular that you could make your own like making O-Rings.

http://www.hobbyparts.com.au/

;)
Tam Leopard 2A6
Elefant
2 X Tam M4 Sherman
3 X Tamiya King Tiger
Mattarro Jagdtiger
Tandy M4 Sherman
3 X HL Tiger 1
2 X Tamiya Tiger 1
2 X HL 1/30 M4
Taigen Tiger 1
Taigen Panzer IV
Asiatam top/bottom Tiger 1
2 X Torro T35/85
Hobby Engine M1A2 AU
Hobby EngineLEOPARD
HL KV-1
HL ZTZ
VS Leo

BIGMIG

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 01:52:38 PM »
well I went to one of our local hardware stores and found a product that i'm going to try out after reading about a product on-line called "BULLFROG SNOT" which apears to be a liquid rubber product.They did show how to apply their product to locomotive wheels and claim it works great and gives good traction.It was kind of spendy at 19 to 24 dollars for a very small jar of it plus shipping cost.

I like their idea on how to apply it with power to the engine while engine is on it's back with the wheels turning while it "sets up" to keep a even coating on the wheel.Their product they say to leave the engine running fifteen to twenty minutes while it sets up to get an even surface coating and no lumps.

What i found and will be trying is a 14.5 OZ can of ----------"Plasti Dip"             $8.50

It says Multi-Purpose rubber coating.One of the uses stated is "hobby use".Its main use is for coating tool handles..............

If it don't work out then I will try the "Bullfrog Snot".....

Picture of the product below.

BIGMIG

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 02:26:52 PM »
I just pulled two engines off the track and layed them on their backs on the work bench.Now these are allmost new engines.Now on these engines the front "truck" or set of wheels are the drivers.The back "truck" or set of wheels are just pick-up wheels for power from the track to the drive motor.All four wheels on the drivers have a grove for the rubber tire,and all four of the rubber tires are missing.Very little surface even making contact with the rail and just the engines themselves slips like crazy trying to run them pulling nothing.Makes them allmost worthless. ::)

What i don't understand knowing this is a common problem with a lot of the older and cheaper engines is why these rubber tires are not offered anywhere as replacement parts.I would assume the MFG. has bins full of these rubber tires yet you can not find or order them. >:(

If you can look close at the picture you can see the grove's where there should be the rubber tire on each wheel.

Offline zean

• Administrator
  • Able to Hull Down
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 11:37:41 AM »
Hi BIGMIG, I don't know if these links can help but you may find a few of the correct size traction tires amongst them  :)

http://www.marklin.com/tech/locopart.html

http://reviews.ebay.com/eBay-Guide-on-Maerklin-Rubber-Traction-Tires_W0QQugidZ10000000006744186

BIGMIG

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 11:42:28 AM »
Well i must say my first atempt at getting this rubber in the place i want it to be was not a success.One problem was while running the motors spun the wheels way to fast under a "no Load" situation.Even at the lowest setting on my power pack it would sling the liquid off the wheel and on places where one would not want it to end up.

Not throwing in the towel yet though,just going to take a different approach and one or two different ideas.Will add to this a little later. ;)

BIGMIG

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »
Hello Pete,

I was posting when you made your post.I did take a quick look and must say that may well be exactly what i was trying to find.I want to thank you for posting it and i'm going to check it out now.

Thanks again........ ;)

Offline zean

• Administrator
  • Able to Hull Down
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »
No problem BIGMIG, happy to help  ;)

BIGMIG

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »
I got my order of rubber tires in the mail today.Just made a wild guess at the sizes when i made the order.One package is realy small,but the other two looks like they may work.Going to be busy for most of the week so it may be a few days before i get to work on the engines and test these out.

BIGMIG

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 03:06:12 PM »
Well good news for me as the " Marklin rubber traction tires" fit on the " Bachmann Engines" like a glove.I ordered three different sizes because i just didn't know which one would be the correct size for my engines.One package was way to small and one package was just a little to big.

The package that fit perfect was (   # 7154  Haftreifen rubber tires bandages )

The above stated on the little parts plastic bag.There is ten pieces per bag and on the style Bachmann engines I did takes (four per engine ).

One engine I did had to have the rubber cleaned off (liquid rubber i tried on the wheels ) and it was easy to peel off before installing the new rubber tires.It is wise to go around the new rubber with a flat blade screwdriver pressing the blade smoothly around the rubber to insure it is seated flatly all the way around the groove.

What a difference running these engines now.No more slipping and very smooth around the track.Without the rubber tires the engines are allmost worthless and have trouble pulling their own weight.Now they have massive pulling power and run like brand new engines again.

I have quite a few of these engines with the same problem that i will now be able to put back in good working order.

If you happen to read this " Pete ",want to thank you again for the sorce you posted as i may never have found it on my own...........Thanks again...... ;) ;)

In the last picture below is the rubber i cleaned off the two wheels i tried the liquid rubber on.

Offline zean

• Administrator
  • Able to Hull Down
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 11:26:34 AM »
you will have them all working like new in no time  ;)