New Page 1

Author Topic: HO Steam Engine 4-6-6-4 Challenger --By AHM  (Read 1836 times)

BIGMIG

HO Steam Engine 4-6-6-4 Challenger --By AHM
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »
About this time last year a friend of my oldest daughter had some HO railroad stuff she wanted to sell from a relative who had passed away.My daughter asked me if there was anything in particular i still wanted or needed to buy yet for my train layout i was working on.I had allready bought so much stuff that i told her i didn't think i wanted to buy any more items,but she said her friend was selling the items for half the price marked on the boxes and a lot of this stuff was all new in the box and unused.Well my daughter knows nothing about model trains but i told her if she sees any engines or mabe a few rail cars to bring them out on her next visit and if they are what i want i would buy them.

The pictures below is what she brought out and i bought it all for i think $95.00.........

Price on the boxes

Bought a new in original box AHM 4-6-6-4 Challenger steam engine and Tender              $99.00
a new HO road switcher new in the box                                                                  $65.00       
a Walthers Platinum line Caboose                                                                            $24.00
a HO scale truck & trailer by Athearn                                                                        $20.80
and (2) HO rail cars by Athearn                                                    2-@                       $13.60

Well about two weeks had passed after i bought these and i got to thinking I should go over and she what this lady actually has for sale,so i called my daughter to set up an apointment for me to go take a look at what she had for sale.Well my daughter called me back a few minutes later and she had called the lady and it turned out some dealer had bought everything she had about three days prior to getting the call from my daughter.So i probbly missed out on some super buys.50 cents on the dollar for new items marked at older price scales is a hell of a deal.

I just did a search on a---AHM   4-6-6-4 Challenger and pulled up one that just sold a month ago (oct.-2 ) on Ebay and the closing bid was $180.00 dollars and it was a used one.So i feel i got a killer buy on the above items. 

Because of this steam engine being so long is one of the reasons I'm going up one more level on my train layout as the curves on the two levels are just a bit to tight and it likes to derail and some of the tracks are to close for a engine with such a long wheel base and it won't clear trains on some of the tracks.

BIGMIG  ;)

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
Re: HO Steam Engine 4-6-6-4 Challenger --By AHM
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:05:54 AM »
Cool looking loco BIGMIG
Good buy certainly is a rather large beast

Gra  :)
HL Tiger 1 & El Mod, HL Tiger 1, HL Pantiger modded to Panther A, HL Panzer III, HL Panzer IV, HL King Tiger Porsche turret, Matorro King Tiger Henschel turret & El Mod, Matorro Jagdtiger, HL Stug E & G, HL Sherman & T-34, Matorro Sturmtiger, A7V (WIP)
Member Panzergruppe South

BIGMIG

Re: HO Steam Engine 4-6-6-4 Challenger --By AHM
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 07:17:50 PM »
Thats a good discription......LOL    It is a big brute.I just ordered track for my next level that this engine will run on so a few minutes ago i thought I would give it a test run as it has been a long time since i have ran it.The top outside tracks have the most clearance so started it out and on the outside track no problem--runs great---one time around and through a cross-over onto the second track and half way around it plowed into a block signal to and abrupt stop. :D End of test run.. :D nothing hurt though..........

BIGMIG  :)