New Page 1

Author Topic: Track--Switches--crossovers---rerailers---General info----  (Read 1289 times)

BIGMIG

Track--Switches--crossovers---rerailers---General info----
« on: November 15, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
Just for general info thought i would post some of the basic items required for laying out a train track system.

Will put pictures on seperate posts for each item.

Track------straight & curved.........self explanitory.And what i like to use "Flex-track.Flex-track comes in 3 feet long sections and you can shape it to suit your needs.An example in the pictures below.

BIGMIG

Re: Track--Switches--crossovers---rerailers---General info----
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:01:08 AM »
Re-railer's are used in various places throught out most layouts to re-rail any car or cars that may have jumped the track,and work pretty good for that purpose.

BIGMIG

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 10:07:32 AM »
Crossovers----These can be used in many different ways and would require more explaining than
what i intend for just general info.A typical figure eight track would require (1) crossover section .
They come in a selection of degrees for different situations...........

BIGMIG

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »
Switches-----(there are different terms for these depending on what country you reside in )

They are called remote control switches---manual control switches---have herd them called switch points...Ect.

I just call them switches.....Railroad term for operating a switch (you either throw a switch-----or line a switch---------)    USA terms.... ;)

These are used for creating, siddings,stub tracks,railyards,or crossing from one track to another.

The manual switch is self explanitory,it is operated by hand.

the remote control switch is operated by pushing a momentary switch on the train control board area which activates a little switch motor connected to the switch arm that moves the switch points from one side to the other of the switch.The switch motor is just a small solinoid plunger that moves forward or backwards depending on direction selected for movement over that switch.

"Note"---remember there are "left hand" and " right hand " switches. ( to construct a passing track for example--a right and a left hand switch is required )

Trying to keep this as basic as i can for general info----got any specific question i'll be glad to try and answer it for you.

Switches also come in various degrees of angle...............

Note--wanted to add a picture of the little button switch that actuates the switch motor....it comes with the switch as there is one needed for every switch.The mounting screws and a few rail joiners are also included in the package along with a short piece of curve track.

Note---sometimes a switch motor will burn out and they are replaceable on most brands of switches.They can be replaced very easy without having to take any track loose to do it.Picture below shows a replacement switch motor in it's package.

BIGMIG

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »
As you can see from the above basic parts it is not rocket science and anyone can lay out a basic system with little or no problem..... ;)

Thanks for looking .....If i can help in any way will be more than happy to do so.

BIGMIG..........

Note----Did not post any power packs for a train layout (there are many brands and price ranges...but even the most inexpensive one's will run a basic set of engines pulling a few cars ).
Also required is rail joiners (they are a couple of dollars for a package of 25 or so--and plastic isolation joiners are needed if you wish to be able to isolate siddings or various sections of track). A typical power pack supplys power for acccessories and power control to run the engines.  I'm not a pro..............just like to play with trains...... :D

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »
Thanks for the info BG
I have always liked train sets but have never owned one   :( and probably never will (as I have no space for a set)
Keep up the flow of info, great stuff

Cheers
Gra  :)
HL Tiger 1 & El Mod, HL Tiger 1, HL Pantiger modded to Panther A, HL Panzer III, HL Panzer IV, HL King Tiger Porsche turret, Matorro King Tiger Henschel turret & El Mod, Matorro Jagdtiger, HL Stug E & G, HL Sherman & T-34, Matorro Sturmtiger, A7V (WIP)
Member Panzergruppe South

BIGMIG

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 11:32:36 AM »
I thank you for that Gra... ;) That is one problem for a lot of people,trains do take up space.

BIGMIG  ;)