New Page 1

Author Topic: My new tank friendly garden  (Read 2548 times)

Offline scalawag

My new tank friendly garden
« on: September 28, 2016, 03:50:26 PM »
I posted a quick pic in another thread of one aspect of this garden project which I am having done by AdLav and his Dad who have there own gardening business.

There is a run of about 15m x 0.75m at the side of the house, and there is also a large area of roughly 11m x 6m at the back of the house which will be laid with real turf and has a great slope across 50% of it and a flat area too

here is where we started.

This is the side of the house

and the back after its initial clean up

The whole Garden has had new fencing put up now.

The run at the side of the house has been laid with artificial grass which is great for tanks to run on, and the path between the grass and the house will be laid with black limestone paving.

I am thinking that for "tank days" I will make or get hold hold of some buildings which can be staggered back and front of the run to add more interest to driving on it. 

There is an area of decking at the back of the house which will make a great viewing/control platform, and I will also be clearing my garage so that all the garden "tank stuff" can be stored in there too. 
This is the frame for the decking going in.

And we got the decking boards on  the main decking area yesterday.

This area of decking at the back of the house will make a great viewing/control platform.

There will be steps down to a lower level of decking in front of the garage.  The garage will also provide a maintenance area with Light and power when tanks are running.

The rest of the garden at the rear will be further cleared, built up with topsoil and laid to turf.

This area should hopefully give a contoured battlefield comparable in size to those we have at most shows here in the UK,  the tank run at the side will be joined to the main area so that tanks can move from one to the other.
I will be looking for ideas on buildings to populate this area for "tank days".

Plans are coming together. '8

I will post more pics as things progress.

Paul
A member of: WMTC, SWAG, SEAG and SET in the UK
1/16: Pzr III, Tiger I (early), Tiger I (mid/late), M4A3 75mm, M4A3 105mm, ZTZ99a, Leopard 2A6, Leopard 1A5, M1A2 Abrams, M2A1 Bradley IFV, Challenger 2, JGSDF Type 10.
1/72: Challenger 1, M1A1 Abrams, T 72 M1, JGSDF Type 10.

Online Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
Re: My new tank friendly garden
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »
Fantastic setup you'll end up with Paul, looking forward to watching to the end....... 8) 8) 8) 8)

Cheers Damo

Offline VonRundstedt

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »
This is going to be awesome Paul, thanks for sharing and please keep us posted...

Offline maxmekker

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 04:48:47 PM »
Looking fw to see this shape up ScaleW.

great job on the garden, the folks you hired seems to know how to tighten up the Space you have

Online Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
  • Town/City: Palmerston , N.T.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 07:51:39 PM »
Great pics , looks like it will be a brilliant battlefield when finished.
"Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty".

Offline scalawag

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 04:55:39 AM »
Todays update,

More done on the decking.

Paul
1/16: Pzr III, Tiger I (early), Tiger I (mid/late), M4A3 75mm, M4A3 105mm, ZTZ99a, Leopard 2A6, Leopard 1A5, M1A2 Abrams, M2A1 Bradley IFV, Challenger 2, JGSDF Type 10.

Online wobbly

• Operation Braunschweig
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 07:49:33 AM »
Awesome my wife watches these home improvement show's relentlessly and they drive me to despair but this my friend this I can relate too, top job mate you've been busy and I look forward to updates  8)
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline Herr Dr. Professor

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 08:41:42 AM »
What a fine, sturdy home, Paul!  The deck and garden/tank run area will be top-of-the-line.  Since you have such a promising outdoor future, I wonder if you have any problems with mosquitoes in the UK?  They are a constant summertime harassment here >:( and impossible to hit with a 6 mm. BB. ;D
Ed
a.k.a. Herr Dr. Professor

Offline AFV Aficionado

• Operation PM
  • Town/City: Hamilton & Te Awamutu
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 11:51:34 AM »
Hey Prof
You're using the wrong tank - http://www.popsci.com/robotic-tank-laser-kill-mosquitoes -

Hi Paul
Nice

Mal
HL M41A3 X 6.5 - NZ M41A1 MERDC, AVRNZE, 3 X Barely touched, T50 ARV WIP - 6 wheel hull, Taigen M41A3
HL M26 - MERDC Dots & HL M26A1
2 X Bruder MB Actros Low Loader - 4 axle, Bruder MAN TGA
Ultimate Soldier 1/18th M113A2 X 2
Spyder Works 1/16th FV101 Scorpion
Ludwig Centurion III

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 05:22:01 AM »
I love it!  I love it!  I love it!
Ed

Offline Gary@VicarmourRCclub

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 07:19:16 AM »
Geez, you are putting us all under pressure ...

Great job mate ... looking forward to seeing more ( no pressure :) )
Gary Thorpe
Comms Officer,
Victorian Armoured RC Club.
1/6 Chunwai Marder III
1/8 Verio King Tiger
1/16 Taigen late Tiger 1 + about 10 others
1/24 VS King Tiger,Tiger1's,Sherman
1/35 Tami RC IR battle T34 Pz4 PantherG Sherman

Offline scalawag

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 02:09:56 AM »
Todays update,

The decking is now finished except for the balustrade rail at the far left of the pics which has been left out for access for when we bring in the topsoil for the grassed area in front of the decking.  This area is now almost cleared ready for the topsoil on Monday.

More to follow next week

Paul

Offline scalawag

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 06:07:28 PM »
Decking is now in and finished.  Lawn area has had topsoil added ready for turfing, and the paving has begun to be laid along the side of the house.  All looking great.

More pics to follow soon.

Paul

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 07:29:20 AM »
I see a four-footed beastie who is going to enjoy the lawn area a great deal.  My somewhat smaller Schnauzer is a bit wary of the running tank, but enjoys chasing the BBs across the floor to "process" them.  I am curious about the shallow pan-like sheet-metal (?) square fitted in among the paving blocks.  What might that be?
Ed

Offline scalawag

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 08:54:09 AM »
Hi Ed,

That is AdLavs dog in the pics (he is the chap in the pics too), she comes with him to work on the garden.  I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who is already enjoying the new garden.

The silver square is actually a drain cover, and will eventually have the same stone laid in the recess in its lid so that it matches the path.

Glad you like it all

Paul

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 05:33:48 AM »
Ah, yes!  My colleague has three Cavs, each a professional lap dog.  I am glad to see the photo of AdLav and associated canine "working dog." ;)   I hope, Paul, that the King Charles is a BB-chaser.
Ed

Offline scalawag

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 08:15:14 AM »
Yeah my dog Chloe is draped across my lap as I type this Ed. She is far more likely to be searching out a treat than chasing anything though. I don't have any bb tanks to know how she would respond to bbs rolling around. She is generally too much of a princess to chase anything though  ;D

Offline scalawag

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 06:15:01 PM »
The garden is now completed, and I could not be happier with how it looks.  I think it will be perfect for tanking too.  A very big Thanks to AdLav and his Dad who have worked so hard on this and made it all come to life.

Here are a few pics of the finished article.

And we also decided to run the new paving to the front of the house and rebuild the steps too.

Paul

Online wobbly

• Operation Braunschweig
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 07:45:57 AM »
Cool very nice and I see its raining that's the Old Dart we all no, looks good mate couple deck chairs and tanks and away you go enjoy!
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline scalawag

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
Cheers wobbly,

Yeah we are heading into winter here so plenty of wet weather now, and deck chairs will have to wait for next summer.  Adam and I spent some time on Monday building houses for when I have "tank Days" in the garden.  The idea is to populate the garden with a few houses and bunkers etc...
I will hopefully be clearing the garage today, so that I have a nice dry indoor place to work on stuff over the winter.

Paul

Offline VonRundstedt

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 05:32:48 PM »
Looks fantastic Paul, well done mate. I look forward to seeing some pics from your tank meets next summer...

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 08:01:32 AM »
It is remarkable to see "grass" suddenly appear.  And that grass will be so friendly to miniature tank treads!  Congratulations to Ad Lav and Ad Lav Sr. for work well done.  And here's to you--and your budget--Paul: hoping you will have many hours of fun (and photos for us).
Ed

Offline chappie

• Operation Jupiter
  • Consider this,98% of all rumours are true!.
  • Town/City: Tom Price/Western Australia
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 12:55:27 PM »
 That's a cracker of job on your backyard Paul,should be a lot of fun running your tanks.
6th Scale CR2
6th scale FOA Tiger 1
6th Scale Spearhead Models Panzer 1V ausf J
6th Scale 21st century M5A1 Stuart
6th Scale Dragon/Tankboy Kubelwagen
Tamiya Kingtiger x 2
HL Pershing Tiger 1 Panther Stug111,Panzer 111 x 2
Mato Jagdtiger x 1
Chunwai M1A2 x1
HE M1A2 x 1 & Wasan T34/85.