New Page 1

Author Topic: LVT 4 from WWII (posted on September 25, 2010)  (Read 2242 times)

Green Amphibian

LVT 4 from WWII (posted on September 25, 2010)
« on: February 25, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »
These are pictures of my scratch built LVT 4 from WWII. I did obtain some parts from "down under" in order to complete this project so it's only fair to post it here also. Hull is of all wood construction.

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
Re: LVT 4 from WWII
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
Welcome to HH forum Green Amphibian
great job on the LVT 4
good to hear that we could supply some parts for the LVT;D
are the tracks available with the duck feet or did you s/build them also

cheers
Gra  :)
HL Tiger 1 & El Mod, HL Tiger 1, HL Pantiger modded to Panther A, HL Panzer III, HL Panzer IV, HL King Tiger Porsche turret, Matorro King Tiger Henschel turret & El Mod, Matorro Jagdtiger, HL Stug E & G, HL Sherman & T-34, Matorro Sturmtiger, A7V (WIP)
Member Panzergruppe South

Green Amphibian

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
I had to modify every other link with brass parts I manufactured. The grousers are bent in a wooden buck so that they almost all look alike. The metal tracks are from a M 41 Walker Bulldog. I had to drill out two holes in them and a brass plate, I used brass nails to go threw the two parts and soldered them on the back side so they wouldn't pull out. I then soldered the grouser on the brass plate. This was done for about 100 shoes to get the length I needed. It was worth it with the way it performs in the water. Yes, it is fully amphibious as is the LVTP-7 I also made.

Green Amphibian

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:59:08 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post video links here, but here is a vid. of its maiden voyage.
dcp_1648.mov

Green Amphibian

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »
Here is a picture of the parts needed for each track link mod.

Green Amphibian

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 07:00:25 PM »
Here is the latest vid. of the LVT 4 with all the track mods. No dogs or fish were harmed in the making of this film. 
LVT 4 Model Video

Offline AFV Aficionado

• Operation PM
  • Town/City: Hamilton & Te Awamutu
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 07:00:55 PM »
Welcome Green
Pretty brilliant entry, would love to see the LVTP7 too?

I notice it floats pretty high, is that natural buoyancy or polystyrene?

I've been thinking of doing similar, but with an LVTP6 (LVTPX2, based on the M59 APC, based on the M41 chassis), but had thought that due to the weight of the metal tracks, I'd have to use the plastic ones, so yours are a revelation. I'm impressed.

Mal
HL M41A3 X 6.5 - NZ M41A1 MERDC, AVRNZE, 3 X Barely touched, T50 ARV WIP - 6 wheel hull, Taigen M41A3
HL M26 - MERDC Dots & HL M26A1
2 X Bruder MB Actros Low Loader - 4 axle, Bruder MAN TGA
Ultimate Soldier 1/18th M113A2 X 2
Spyder Works 1/16th FV101 Scorpion
Ludwig Centurion III

Green Amphibian

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 07:01:25 PM »
Hello Mal,
The LVTP-7 should have a vid. link also from up at the AAF Museum from the last battle day. I did have some ballast in the 4 when I started with plastic track, but the ends kept breaking so I went with the metal and took the ballast out. Glad you like it. That is the natural buoyancy of the model and it is pretty close to where it should be without cargo.

Green Amphibian

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 07:07:31 PM »
I have added an IR receptor to my LVT 4 so that it can be a moving target up at the AAF Museum in Danville Va. next month. When hit it also makes a series of LED's light up inside the cab so that they look like flames. It is all covered with cargo in the cargo bay when not in use. The big box comes out and a grouping of smaller things take its place.

Offline TANKBOY

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Jupiter
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »
That is so cool,dogs are as bad as kids.
1/16 TAMIYA M26 PERSHING ,1/16 TAMIYA KING TIGER ,1/16 TAMIYA KV 2  ,1/16 TAMIYA PANZER 4 ,1/16 TAMIYA SHERMAN ,1/16 TAMIYA TIGER 1, 1/16 TAMIYA LEOPRAD AS1

Green Amphibian

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
That was the neighbor's dog. She is a pretty good dog and very curious.