New Page 1

Author Topic: Panther G "44"  (Read 104 times)

Offline Panzerocket

• I came, I saw, I went to the gift shop
  • Town/City: Sydney
Panther G "44"
« on: September 29, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »
Hello all,
With the posting of my Stug III I thought it was time to post up some pictures from my on-going first project.
You will have to bear through this with me however, being my first RC tank it also was my first time to record what I was doing to show others.
I'd not even considered this when I have begun so this has created a few problems with how to present this. A few "black holes" of time etc will be present.
I will attempt to keep this as interesting as I can.
Being new I won't go into the details of things to much. As at this point what I have is a collection of other peoples ideas that I have taken and used. Ideas presented and explained in other
build logs better than I could at this point anyway.
I do have some nice "don't do this" moments however..... so enjoy.

Best we start at the beginning.
It began with a 2.4Ghz HL Panther G brought off Matomart on a whim.
No RC experience, No model experience with anything bigger than 1/35.
I saw these things on line and went "where have you been all my life"
That was 12 months ago now, things have got worse since, not better :)

So I got it home with the tank.......... and 2 hours later we had the below scene.
This is my first "don't do this moment".
Hindsight would suggest that perhaps I should have checked that it worked properly first. It does , but i was lucky.

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
Re: Panther G "44"
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 04:05:50 PM »
Great to see another one up, we've all started in a similar boat with this hobby  ::) keep the pics coming  :D

Cheers
Damo

Offline Panzerocket

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 04:13:57 PM »
Up until the arrival of the tank I had not really considered what mods I was going to do. It was around this point that I decided that I was going to upgrade to what seemed to be the minimum standard for a good solid tank.... Tamiya quality. Nothing berserk, but a good solid "runner" as I heard people describe tanks on the forum.
This resulted in a flurry of on-line orders to dealers I didn't know and the arrival of parts of in some cases "dubios" quality. All and all again I got away with it.
The only thing that stood out was that the new metal wheels (don't know the brand, won't give the dealer as was not there fault) were smaller than the HL ones supplied with the tank.
No problem, if there is a difference between the cheap HL and the more expensive aftermarket wheels it would have to be the HL that was wrong....of course.
Um.......no. Turns out HL wheels are shaped wrong but spot on for size for the Panther G. Dammit !
So that's a whole lot of extra wheels for the spares box.
And there's my first lesson. Sometimes the cheaper  basic stuff from the cheaper more basic manufacturer gets it right, while the more expensive guys get it wrong.
In the mean time I got cracking on the lower hull.
As i'd seen on the forum I cleaned out the lower hull, braced it and got it ready for taking the internals.
It was also at this time I decided on the IBU2 Pro so ordered one of those.
regards,
Chris

Offline Panzerocket

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:23:13 PM »
Not really knowing what I was doing I built up the lower hull to what I thought should do the job. (Red lower hull picture below)
The IBU, new gearboxes (Walterson's 5 speed... no idea why these.. just took a shot) and new smoker arrived. It all went together.
I purchased a Turnigy 9Xr remote for the IBU.
Essentially, my whole life stopped for about 3 weeks while I worked out how to set up and use it with the IBU.
I needed a lot of help from were I purchased it. They were most helpful.
During the process of doing this I had been looking at my HL upper hull. I thought it could be better.
This was the first instance of "mission creep" that I can detect in the build so far. This is also a lesson.
So my new Asiatam (I think it's Asiatam) upper hull arrived. It all went together fantastic. (Second picture below)
Long story short. I'm not sure what I did wrong but the tank just went terribly. Completely awful.
A lot of time went into fixing it . It just wouldn't run strait or turn correctly.

Offline Herr Dr. Professor

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »
"...but the tank just went terribly. [...]  It just wouldn't run straight or turn correctly."  Now that experience must have been discouraging.  Still, you persevered, right?
Ed
a.k.a. Herr Dr. Professor

Offline Panzerocket

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 06:02:31 PM »
Hello again,
Thanks for asking Her Dr. There's more story to go. So yes I persevered.. In a manner of speaking.
I did not know what I had done wrong. I suspect that I did too many components, to quickly, at too low of standard.
I did not check that when bracing the lower hull that it was still square after I glued everything down for example. Another example is that I didn't check the gearbox engines to make sure that they both ran together or that the gearbox had gone in square to the axis of the tank. I saw after some time that I would have to just start again because it would never be corrected otherwise with my
in-experience.
It was a lot of work down the drain (which is OK with me, it was fun learning and getting it wrong. and it's a hobby not a job. At least that's how I feel in hindsight, but it was bloody frustrating at the time !) but I still needed replacement wheels and I had the Asiatam upper hull. So at this point I decided to buy the Asiatam lower hull and matching wheels, as they came with bearings and new they would fit no probs!! That's perseverance of a type !
The new lower hull arrived with warped horizontal sides !!  (first picture below)This after waiting 5 weeks for delivery (Aus Post mix-up !). No way was I waiting around while I send a new one back to Europe and wait for another ( 5 weeks again ?). The bowed sides hung down over the lower hull leaving a 3 to 4 mill gap right around the tank. I cut the offending sides off. re-stuck them on flat and sanded the seam back flush were it meets the whole. So that solved that.
I added bearing surports for the main gearbox drive shafts. (second picture below) and then put it together for a test run. (3rd picture below).
And it all worked as advertised. What a great moment that was. The relief !!
Next I moved on to making proper "bed" for the lower hull components.
Regards,
Chris

Offline Panzerocket

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 06:25:24 PM »
The internal components were all pretty easy. Just took lots of planning. There was plenty of photos on the forum with many good ideas about this and some very neat component set-ups.
Just a matter of building them up piece by piece really.. My criteria was that all the component holders should be removable easily and quickly, that they stay in place with no movement and that the wiring is neat (like a good computer set-up). If you look at the completed picture below (bottom picture) you will find another lesson I have learned. Some Servo's are much bigger than others. Check your servo dimensions before you buy ! I have added a continues servo for turret rotation. And it is huge. But i paid for it now... so its staying. The result is I can not fit my smoker in this tank now. That servo just ate up all the extra's room ! All and all however, so far I think I have achieved my criteria but time will tell I guess. We will see.
First photo below is components being built. Second is the individual components when out of tank and third pic shows how they all fit in.
Regards,
Chris

Offline Herr Dr. Professor

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 03:18:49 AM »
I would imagine that big speaker renders great sound.  I am enjoying your tale of woe--unh, fun.  (Indeed, your saga is rather well-written, too.  You must be over-educated and under-funded.)
Ed
a.k.a. Herr Dr. Professor