New Page 1

Author Topic: Gra's Stug III Ausf E  (Read 9036 times)

Diverfrost

Re: Gra's Stug III Ausf E
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 11:19:33 AM »
Simply amazing work Gra well done! and thanks for sharing.

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2013, 11:01:35 AM »
Thanks Diverfrost
Done a bit more, have started on the tools and tool mounts etc...
Usually i stick the styrene tools/mounts on with CA glue, but now i drill hole in the fender and insert a 2mm styrene rod in and then you can glue the mount/tools etc to that with normal hobby glue.
Most of the tools were moulded on had to be cut off and the new tools were around the wrong way to mount eg like the little pins that stick out of the axe or crank handle that stick in the mudguard.
First up i made the tool box stand and jack block holder.

Made the antenna brackets and actually will swivel around so the antenna can be up or laying in the wooden holder, might be a bit bigger than scale but thats the only make them.

just using styrene rod that can be pulled out to change if broken

lifting hooks on back deck

more on the tools later
now i thought id try and get some extra lights working, the Noteck, and back taillight and convey light.
have cut the parts up and making them slightly bigger to fit the LED, i ended up making a new taillight as the LED was too big.

still a bit more to go on these

cheers
gra  :)

HL Tiger 1 & El Mod, HL Tiger 1, HL Pantiger modded to Panther A, HL Panzer III, HL Panzer IV, HL King Tiger Porsche turret, Matorro King Tiger Henschel turret & El Mod, Matorro Jagdtiger, HL Stug E & G, HL Sherman & T-34, Matorro Sturmtiger, A7V (WIP)
Member Panzergruppe South

Reaper332

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 11:21:08 AM »
Nice aerial mount Graham....... very cool.... 8) 8) Not long and it will be paint time....... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Diverfrost

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 10:08:58 AM »
Simply love your attention to detail mate, what a great job!

Online Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 04:34:30 PM »
Ditto as above Gra, really nice antenna work. Do you think she'll be ready for Newcastle ?

Cheers Leo 2A6
Damo. :)

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 10:54:55 AM »
thanks guys,  Leo might be ready for Newcastle  :D
bit more done, lights have been fixed and working, for all you Styrene lovers out there you can get clear styrene sheets  8), i used for the lenses on the lights, so have one headlight, Notek, convoy and tail light working

made the headlight protector cover, only made one as the other headlight is damaged (cover blown off)

sorry shaky pic

next is the aerial holder, made brackets out of brass, first time soldering etc... with brass  :-\ :-\
have to make two sets as the Stug has two aerials  ::)

now of to make the second set  :-\ ::) :-\ ???

cheers
HL Tiger 1 & El Mod, HL Tiger 1, HL Pantiger modded to Panther A, HL Panzer III, HL Panzer IV, HL King Tiger Porsche turret, Matorro King Tiger Henschel turret & El Mod, Matorro Jagdtiger, HL Stug E & G, HL Sherman & T-34, Matorro Sturmtiger, A7V (WIP)

Online Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »
Hi Gra, very nicely done, love the lights...... 8) 8) 8)

Cheers Damo. :)

Reaper332

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 12:44:04 PM »
Great work on the lights Gra........... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Ken

Offline Panzerman

• Operation Braunschweig
  • Anything RC, flies,floats,sinks or rolls!
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »
Awesome scratching there Gra, awesome!

Online chappie

• Operation Jupiter
  • Consider this,98% of all rumours are true!.
  • Town/City: Tom Price/Western Australia
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »
Gra,my man you have amazing talent.
6th Scale CR2
6th scale FOA Tiger 1
6th Scale Spearhead Models Panzer 1V ausf J
6th Scale 21st century M5A1 Stuart
6th Scale Dragon/Tankboy Kubelwagen
Tamiya Kingtiger x 2
HL Pershing Tiger 1 Panther Stug111,Panzer 111 x 2
Mato Jagdtiger x 1
Chunwai M1A2 x1
HE M1A2 x 1 & Wasan T34/85.

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2013, 10:46:34 AM »
thanks again guys :)
well finally got the second aerial holder made, drilled holes for pins even surprised myself that the aerials line up and can lay in the holder trench
now have to wire up the top hull and the 8 pin connector, bind the rx, have to sort out the return rollers and hopefully add some bearings to the idlers?? and attach the tow ropes on back deck... then paint (i hope)
some pics... nearly finished
38186-0 38188-1

Online Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 11:02:55 AM »
Great stuff Gra, super high standard well done 10/10... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Reaper332

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 11:10:34 AM »
I agree 100 % with Damo Graham..... Top shelf stuff you've done there....... ;D ;D ;D

Offline buckeye36

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2013, 01:18:11 PM »
Stug is looking great!
Tamiya Tiger 1, Tamiya Sherman M4 (105) HVSS, Tamiya Jagdpanther G1, Elmod Jagdpanther G2, Elmod KV-1E, ElMod Stug III G, HL Panzer III L, HL Tiger 1

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2013, 02:46:09 PM »
ok bit of an update
I'm using the original plastic gearboxes and have glued and put a pin through the slip clutch cog so more more slipping.
Have modded the return rollers using 3mm bolt, a plastic threaded spacer (from Jaycar in Oz and come in various sizes and metal), you can adjust the roller in and out if needed. i also use these spacers for mounting my el mod boards and speakers. Finished installing the elect's and made a charging jack accessed through the front inspection hatches.

Gave the Stug a run at the PGS tank day, runs well and was suprised and impressed with the El Mod setting for plastic gears how slow and proportional it runs, it even has a horn sound beep 8) 8)

cheers

Online Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »
Great work Gra well done, I'm looking forward to seeing this one run next month..... 8) 8) 8) 8)

Cheers Leo 2A6
Damo. :)

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2013, 06:23:17 PM »
Thanks Guys
It has turned out better than I hoped, very pleased with it  ;D
I added the small tool box on the other side mudguard, rather use it than leave it in spares box.
I used the plastic idlers as they are a better fit on the axel screw than the metal ones and don't wobble as much, will look at putting bearings in the metal idlers later when I have a bit more time to think   ::) . Also noticed that the drivers visor and 2 small viewing holes are not in the centre of the front plate, being the P III hull they are more towards the centre, but will leave as is for now. Have fine tuned the recoil unit. Not sure what's left to do now (except make some tow ropes).

Hopefully will paint it over the next few days if the weather is fine and warm....LOL

And for anyone that's going to do a similar build the hardest piece to make was the headlight cover   

Cheers
Gra   :)

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2013, 08:24:32 AM »
well the Russian winter has lifted for a few days and have managed to get some paint on the Stug  ;D ;D
im not a painter so i just use spray cans, Originally Tamy cans but now also use Humbrol cans as it has flat finish compared to the glossy Tamy cans. Some times its hard to get both can colours to match so i just spray a light coat of Tamy then another light coat of Humbrol (kinda of mixing effect)
i used to spray on fairly thick coats but now use the "Less is More" approach
first sprayed a grey primer, then a light spray of matt black over the tank heavier on the sides and under parts, then a light spray of the German red undercoat, hopefully will get the Panzer grey on today

Primer coat

With the black and red German undercoat

painting helping hand egg carton for small objects

i bought new replacement Mato Panzer III rubber tyres for the Mato metal road wheels, very nice with tyre brand and size markings on them, certainly better than the old original ones that were large and out of round

more pics soon when finished painting Panzer grey, detail and tools

cheers

Reaper332

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2013, 09:13:50 AM »
Looks fantastic so far Graham.... top job..... ;D ;D ;D

Diverfrost

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2013, 11:21:58 AM »
One of the best our there by far mate if not the best in 1:16, she looks great and can't wait to see it finished  ;D

Online Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2013, 07:28:36 PM »
Nice job Gra great to see some colour on her...... 8) 8) 8)

Offline B_Man

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »
Looking good Gra. Nice idea with the egg carton and those tires look the goods.

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2013, 11:34:23 AM »
ok well nearly finished, have painted panzer grey on and have weathered the tank, i used a mixture of burnt umber and red sienna mixed with water and brushed on and then wiped off, when i took it out in the sun to dry and air off i could see a few missed spots  ::) so will do them later lol.
will take some outdoor pics later

more pics to come  ;D

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »
some detail pic's

might be enough pics for the moment  :o ::)

hope you enjoyed the build as much as i did

cheers

Offline Panzerman

• Operation Braunschweig
  • Anything RC, flies,floats,sinks or rolls!
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »
A tough looking little tank, she looks great mate, the details are amazing!