New Page 1

Author Topic: Panzerfrauen: She's dangerous! updated 9 July 2017  (Read 446 times)

Offline Herr Dr. Professor

• Operation Greenline
Panzerfrauen: She's dangerous! updated 9 July 2017
« on: April 28, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »
Here is a German "tank woman" figure made by a British gentleman who uses the eBay name "Panzerfrau120."  An RC tank and RC boat modeler, he lives in a seaside town and sometimes uses beach bunny figures he finds in a nearby gift shop as the starting point for his female figures.  He also occasionally lists some British male tankers, and I have a few in waiting for my M3 Grant that is long overdue for my attention.

I call this first young woman a "seated tank maiden."  As a first step I filled a few flaws with Tamiya filler putty.  I also recarved a bit here and there, but nothing requiring genuine skill.  Then I painted over almost all of her (  ;) oooh, that was fun! :P ) with a PVA glue that can be used to create tiny lenses, such as those in 1/16 German binocular periscopes.  I use the PVA to fill tiny holes from bubbles left in the molding. 

Here she is with the PVA coating.  You can enlarge any of these three images by clicking on them.

84132-0

84134-1

84136-2
Ed
a.k.a. Herr Dr. Professor

Online wobbly

• Operation Braunschweig
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
Re: [I]Panzerfrauen: Sitzende Panzerfräulein[i]
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »
Nice find Herr Prof just need Scalawag to paint her up I could not do her justice  :o
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

• Operation Greenline
Re: Panzerfrauen: Sitzende Panzerfräulein
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 11:23:58 AM »
After the PVA dried on all the curves of the Sitzende Panzerfräulein, I sprayed on a coat of Mr. Color 1200 primer.  Even more unfilled bubble holes showed up like achne on a teenager's face.  So I started again with a bit more sculpting and filled more bubble holes, this time with Mr. Dissolved Putty.  After another coat of 1200 primer, I can see improvements, but still more spots that need filling and correcting.  The spots needing work are not visible without magnification, but they show up well in the photos.

84166-0

84168-1

84170-2
Ed

Online Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
  • Town/City: Palmerston , N.T.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 11:36:37 AM »
It's not a very ''crisp'' moulding is it?
"Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty".

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 01:14:42 AM »
Alas, Yobbo, the molding appears not to be the work of a very experienced artist.  Nonetheless, I have found him to be a nice fellow who is fair about his prices.  What is more, I like the idea of a few women in uniform among my 1/16 figures.  The uniform on this Sitzende Panzerfräulein is just a "what if," a spin-off of the men's Schwartzgrau Panzer uniform.  I would be interested, too, in a few 1/16 (120mm) figures of women in the various women's branches of service.  Osprey books now has published quite a bit of information on these uniforms.
Ed

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »
A few weeks ago I tried a light flesh colour on the Sitzende Panzerfräulein's eyes, and found that the Mr. Colour 1200 gray was a bit too dark underneath.  What is more, I was still dissatisfied with the young lady's left eye.  So I went back with the carving knife, some more Tamiya filler, and some more Mr. Dissolved Putty to rework the eye as best I could to match the right eye.  Then I went to a white primer, letting it dry for a week.

On the second attempt, I turned first to Vallejo "light flesh" for the whites of her eyes, followed by a mix of 75% Vallejo "white" to 25% "Dark Navy Blue" for her blue eyes, and a tiny dot of Vallejo black for the lens.  Then Vallejo "base flesh" provided a start on her faces and hands.  Here she is so far:

84404-0

84402-1

Ed

Online wobbly

• Operation Braunschweig
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »
Good start Herr Doc  8), If she was real I would have painted her with my tongue  :P
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »
As I noted above, Mr. Jon "Panzerfrau" Hill starts with "beach bunny" figurines he finds locally.  I suspect the "armature" with which he started wore considerably skimpier clothing.  Mr. Hill painted his ladies (there are more) blond.  I should like to do the same, especially to get contrast with the Panzer uniform's Schwartzgrau.  But I need to experiment with colour mixes to get the right blond.  Oddly, I cannot find Vallejo, Tamiya, or ModelMaster blond acrylics.  Hmm...
Ed

Online Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
  • Town/City: Palmerston , N.T.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »
Good start Herr Doc  8), If she was real I would have painted her with my tongue  :P

Would have got to many runs.
"Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty".

Offline scalawag

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »
Great start you have made there Herr Dr.

For blond hair I would start with a very light beige colour, in tamiya i would use deck tan, but I wouldn't know what the equivalent in vallejo would be.  Then find several other colours near to that again in tamiya I would be things wooden deck tan, buff, and desert yellow, and dry brush these colours over the top of the deck tan.

Paul
A member of: WMTC, SWAG, SEAG and SET in the UK
1/16: Pzr III, Tiger I (early), Tiger I (mid/late), M4A3 75mm, M4A3 105mm, ZTZ99a, Leopard 2A6, Leopard 1A5, M1A2 Abrams, M2A1 Bradley IFV, Challenger 2, JGSDF Type 10.
1/72: Challenger 1, M1A1 Abrams, T 72 M1, JGSDF Type 10.

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 05:58:21 AM »
Thank you, Paul.  I can always use an excuse to go to a hobby store to get some Tamiya Deck Tan and other wood colours.  It had also occurred to me to start with a light wood colour, but I would have mixed it first with a drop of yellow.  I may try your way, dry brushing the other colours.  Of course, I plan to experiment first on some scrap plastic.

For anyone who is interested, here are three of the better online sites with paint equivalency information.  My experience is that no equivalent across brands is exact, but the charts certainly are useful:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts.asp

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts_2.asp

http://www.paint4models.com/index.html
Ed

Offline scalawag

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 06:03:33 AM »
make sure the plastic you practice on has some texture mate, otherwise the dry brushing will look quite different on a flat surface.

Paul
1/16: Pzr III, Tiger I (early), Tiger I (mid/late), M4A3 75mm, M4A3 105mm, ZTZ99a, Leopard 2A6, Leopard 1A5, M1A2 Abrams, M2A1 Bradley IFV, Challenger 2, JGSDF Type 10.

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 10:31:10 AM »
Given your tip, Paul, to try Tamiya "Deck Tan," I rummaged about in my paints and found Floquil "Dresden."  After mixing it with various yellow colors, I realized that Floquil "Dresden" straight out of the bottle makes rather a nice base blond color.  So I began flying by the seat of the pants to see what I could accomplish out of ignorant trial-and-error.

After the Vallejo face color had dried for over a week, I painted the young lady's hair with Floquil "Dresden."  After that had dried for a week, I returned with a mix of thirty parts Floquil "Dresden" to one part Floquil "Rail Brown," laying it in the low areas for a darker blond color.  I quickly wiped the darker blond with clean cotton swabs to minimize the contrast.  I finally turned to ten parts Floquil "Dresden" to three parts Floquil "Wisconsin Central Gold," a pale yellow color once used on Wisconsin Central Railroad engines.  This gave me a tad yellower blond that I dry brushed on the high spots, using a cut off broad brush.

I also painted the beauty's eyebrows with Floquil Dresden, as my surreptitious peeks at the eyes of the naturally blond waitress at my local beanery told me the eyebrows are also blond.  But the eye-lashes appear to be dark colored, so I used Floquil "Rail Brown" on the tip of a sharpened toothpick to just touch the upper eyelashes.

Here is my dangerous blond so far.  In the expanded version of this photo, she looks as if she has used too much rouge and lipstick.  But seen by eye, even close up, the colors are much more subtle, almost too subtle.

84722-0
Ed

Offline scalawag

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 05:46:32 AM »
looking good Ed ;)

Paul

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 12:41:52 PM »
I worked yet more on Sitzende Panzerfräulein's eyes today, using Floquil "Rail Brown" to make the eyebrows more visible and tone down the black eye lashes.   After that, using Vallejo "Neutral Gray," I painted her cap and the tiny bit of her shirt that shows.  After about four hours of drying time for the "Neutral Gray" I gave her uniform a first coat of Vallejo "Black Gray."  I will post more photos when I get her to model before the camera.  A smart young lady, she knows that I am a lonely old man: she only models in her uniform, only when carrying a pistol, and only if I provide Schokolade. ;)
Ed

• Operation Greenline
Re: Panzerfrauen: Sitzende Panzerfräulein updated 13 June 2017
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 08:12:29 AM »
No AFV, no train layout, no figure is ever finished.  But my dear Sitzende Panzerfräulein is ready for now.  She cleaned up her uniform, put on her medals and rank epaulettes (Oberleutnant), shined up her boots, and posed for the camera with her revolver resting in her Panzer Pink scarf to match her Panzer Pink uniform piping--a bit more piping than on the men's uniform, giving her a bit more color.

84849-0

84851-1

84853-2
Ed

Online wobbly

• Operation Braunschweig
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 05:37:09 PM »
Oh be still my beating heart top job Herr Prof very tasty indeed!  ;)

Offline scalawag

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »
She turned out great mate,  very nice finishing 8)

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 06:46:26 AM »
As with my tanks, I am again surprised at how much the photos wash out depth and weathering.  Yet if I see a photo of myself, the weathering is so obvious.  Cameras are perverse that way.
Ed

• Operation Greenline
Re: Panzerfrauen: She's dangerous! updated 9 July 2017
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »
Oh oh!  The Panzerfräulein is showing up in a propaganda poster.

85907-0
Ed