New Page 1

Author Topic: RAAF Catalina  (Read 87 times)

Offline Panzerman

• Operation Braunschweig
  • Anything RC, flies,floats,sinks or rolls!
RAAF Catalina
« on: May 15, 2017, 02:58:02 AM »
Just about ready for maiden, probably wrong to do mods and paint before maiden?!
Painted her as a RAAF Catalina A24-2 which performed the first medical evacuation
from Lord Howe Island 75 years ago. Floats in the retracted position as she won’t be
landing on water, belly lander only. The early RAAF Cats where painted in two tone
grey with black undersides, also used pastels to give her a good weathering.

Here's a real one.

Offline Herr Dr. Professor

• Able to Hull Down
Re: RAAF Catalina
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 07:49:53 AM »
I wish your Catalina soaring good times and happy landings!  I will watch for flight photos and flight news.
Ed
a.k.a. Herr Dr. Professor

Offline wobbly

• Operation Greenline
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 08:09:59 AM »
Love it and those big old cats are something aren't they I saw one airborne at Wanaka at the air show years ago  8) there is a book out there title RAAF Black Cats I believe would be good reading and a quote from Tora Tora Torra those navy guy's in their PBY's
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline Panzerman

• Operation Braunschweig
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »
Took her out for the maiden flight and while I was getting her out of my
van I crunched the tail plane. Have since fixed her but it has been so
windy so she is grounded. Plus I am now away having a holiday with
the beloved, managed to make the HARS museum at Nowra south of
Sydney where the is a real Cat!

The RAAF had nearly 400 Catalinas.

Offline thegunny

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 03:31:34 PM »
If you are near Swan Hill check out the Flying Boat museum at Lake Boga. They've got A24-30 (made up of bits).

Here's a few pics of a bit of maritime aviation history from a Cat to an over rated, over priced, "Ooo the yanks are selling something, let's buy it" toy  :)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »
"...to an over rated, over priced, 'Ooo the yanks are selling something, let's buy it' toy ."  The yank here says, "Duh, I don't get it.  I guess I need an explanation, Gunny.   Is that a Boeing 737 with the flip up wingtips?
Ed

Offline wobbly

• Operation Greenline
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »
Wow Great pic Neptune and Orion and I believe Herr Doc the Boeing is our equivalent  of Air Force One  8)
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »
I think our government uses the Boeing 737 Business Jet sadly nothing as impressive as Air Force 1 nor as tricked up, it's basically a passenger jet with an office and bigger galley.

Back on topic though, not knowing much about planes, in the pic in your reply #3 the pic of the Catalina, is that a bollard next to the forward MG ? Don't seem to see it in thegunny's pic

Cheers
Damo

Offline thegunny

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 11:17:02 PM »
"...to an over rated, over priced, 'Ooo the yanks are selling something, let's buy it' toy ."  The yank here says, "Duh, I don't get it.  I guess I need an explanation, Gunny.   Is that a Boeing 737 with the flip up wingtips?

We are getting rid of the greatest maritime patrol aircraft even for some trumped up toy. It hasn't got any where near the capability of a P3 and a lot of militaries have realised this and are getting their P3's refurbished to as new by a firm in the states for a fraction of the cost of a POSeidon.

Offline thegunny

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 11:19:22 PM »
<snip>

Back on topic though, not knowing much about planes, in the pic in your reply #3 the pic of the Catalina, is that a bollard next to the forward MG ? Don't seem to see it in thegunny's pic

Cheers
Damo

I'm pretty sure it's retractable.

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 08:36:01 AM »
'Tis true, alas: the latest ain't always the greatest.  In fact, kidznowdays ain't half as good as us old coots. ;)
Ed

Offline Panzerman

• Operation Braunschweig
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:20:18 PM »
Yep two Cats inside a week over 3,800klms apart, the Bull Creek Aviation
Museums in Western Australia. This Catalina wears US Navy markings.