New Page 1

Author Topic: HL Stug III  (Read 139 times)

Offline Panzerocket

• I came, I saw, I went to the gift shop
  • Town/City: Sydney
HL Stug III
« on: September 29, 2017, 11:31:40 AM »
Hello All,
This is my second 1/16 tank project. I am a little while away but thought I would post up now so as to have a starting point when I begin.
The Stug is to get the  Taigen lower hull and metal wheels, the usual metal extra's, metal tracks and upgraded gearbox. I am also thinking late model at this point so the rounded gun mantlet and additional side armour should be added later. I am very interested in the "swing style" armour I have seen on Tank.de, had never heard of it before and was convinced it was some type of "paper panzer" add-on. Then I found some pictures... just 2, but anough to know it existed. And that's all I have found. Would someone know more about this armour ? Date of use ? Field mod ? Factory made ? Unit that used it ? It looks like east front to me and I suspect a field mod from some divisional shop, but very unsure. Any additional info would be appreciated.
I still have to order the tracks, sprockets and gearbox but am holding off to see what options pop up before now and when I have to begin. I want to spend least I can but still anough to get quality.
Any suggestions for these pieces welcome.
Any suggestions going forward at all  are greatly welcome and  dare I say it, all are welcome to point out any glaring ommisions they may spot from the coming build.
Regards,
Chris

Offline Panzerocket

Re: HL Stug III
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 11:34:33 AM »
88116-0
Starting with 27Hz stock HL and the usual extras. RX18 2.4Ghz was swapped in for the 27Hz as I had a spare.

Offline Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 12:02:28 PM »
Nice Chris, looking forward to your build... 8) 8)

cheers
Damo

Offline wobbly

• Operation Braunschweig
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 03:10:47 PM »
Cool happy new tank mate enjoy  8)
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline VonRundstedt

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 04:44:59 PM »
Hi Chris, great purchase mate, I love the Stugs! Swing armor was a very late war feature and was one of many variations of 'side skirts' available at the time. It was not unit specific. There is a couple of colour pics around of two Stuh 42s from East Prussia with them fitted, look out for them. I'm sure I have a bit of info on them in a book somewhere, if I get a chance over the weekend I will see if I can find it.
Cheers,
Brendon.

Offline Panzerocket

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 06:47:57 PM »
Hi all.
Thankyou for you interest.
Any additional info Mr Vonrundsredt would be received greatly. I can't even find written info on it.
By the looks it tries to solve the "knocked off" shultzen problem by allowing the shultzen to move on an axis and give a better chance the armour plate doesn't come off when obstructed.
But I'm guessing... Whatever it's purpose however.....I think it just looks cool.
Regards,
Chris

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
  • Town/City: Palmerston , N.T.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 06:40:02 PM »
Any new build updates?
Looks like it should be a beast when finished.
Any idea of paint scheme yet?
"Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty".

Offline Panzerocket

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 01:37:17 PM »
Hello,
No updates yet. Have just finished putting the basic colours down on a 1/35 panther as test for my 1/16 panther. So I will complete that,  then paint large Panther. Then I will prob do up a 1/35 stug test before I move onto the 1/16....as I have a 1/35 unmade stug in the "to build cupboard". So I'll be a little bit yet.
I keep looking at the Stug in the corner of my room and telling myself not to take on 2 projects at one time.
Not easy...as the Stug is just begging to be worked on. No space for me to do this unfortunately.
Chris