New Page 1

Author Topic: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts 19 November 2017 update  (Read 5879 times)

Offline Herr Dr. Professor

• Operation Greenline
Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts 19 November 2017 update
« on: April 29, 2016, 11:27:21 AM »
Here is my first attempt at 1/16 weathering, a standard Heng Long M1A2 Abrams in desert colors.  This is rather a simple weathering, as I wanted to keep the tank looking in quite good shape, just as I had seen in many photos from Iraq.  Everything was washed in a MIG wash for modern US armor.  In fact, on my first attempt, I got clumsy and spilled the wash right on the lower hull.  Some frantic cleaning with paper towels and cotton swabs convinced me that the method was not so bad after all, so I continued, but used an old flat wide brush instead.  Then I used some Tamiya spray on the tracks, wiping them as they were drying and even sanding them afterwards.  I messed about with some pastels on the suspension and rear, and finally sealed the lower hull and rear with clear Testor's Dullcote.

75597-0

75599-1

Ed
a.k.a. Herr Dr. Professor

• Operation Greenline
Re: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »
I used the same wash a bit more sparingly on the upper surfaces, ran some subtle streaks down the side shields and front, and made a clear plastic fitting for the commander's independent target viewer, painting it with Model Master transparent red on the inside.  I would like to do something similar to the driver's, gunner's, and commander's hatch viewing blocks, but I need to work up some more skill first to fit these more complex shapes.

75601-0

It seems that a cooler (full of beer? soda? iced tea? water?) shows up on every Abrams, mostly in blue.  So far, I found an orange one (blue being out of stock), but I figured it would help the T72 commanders site in more effectively.

75603-1
Ed

Online Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 11:33:31 AM »
Nice effort there Herr Dr.... 8) 8) nice to see a bit of stowage there too... :D

Yeah I think the cooler, or esky as we know em, are usually made in the blue, I have seen a red one but never an orange one I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one of those...... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Damo

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 11:46:02 AM »
I let the rear show more messiness, as the photos from Iraq seemed to show the same.  Interestingly, in photos of the M1A2  either the center vent panel shows in black or both the center and right rear vent panels show in black.

75605-0

The Heng Long .50 cal. and .30 cal. lack some detail (although they are a bit better than the WWII version of the .50 cal. on the Sherman).  I did the best I could to replicate the black (not gun metal) for these with the tan mountings.  The .50 cal. ammunition box is open, so I could paint the belt, shells, and bullets.  The commander's hatch came damaged in the box, and I probably should have left it alone.  But I tried repainting it with the indicated FS color.  I immediately learned that HengLong color is darker than the FS color for the Abrams in desert camouflage, whether in Model Master Enamel, Model Master Acrylic, or Tamiya acrylic.  However, I left the commander's hatch (and a few other parts) in the correct shade while allowing the rest unaltered because I like the darker shade.   However, since HengLong's color is too dark as it is, I did not use any filter on the tank.

75607-1
Ed

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »
I want to add some figures and more stowage to the Abrams as I can afford it, and there is so much more I should do, but for now I am ready for another project for a change.  All the photos here and above are expandable, and I have them at far greater resolution.  Much of the weathering does not show up in the photos here, but is evident in high-resolution images.

Here are the books I used:

Doyle, David.  M1Abrams: In Action. Squadron/Signal, 2013
M1A2 SEP: Abrams Main Battle Tank In Detail.  Sabot, 2016.
Mesko, Jim.  M1Abrams: In Action.  Squadron/Signal 1989.
Zaloga, Steven J.  M1Abrams Main Battle Tank 1982-92. Osprey, 1993.
Zwilling, Ralph.  M1A2 SEP V2 Abrams.  Tankograd, 2014.

and

M1Abrams.  Prime Portal.  http://m1a1.primeportal.net/. 2008.

Ed

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 12:02:40 PM »
 :-[ Geepers!  I should have weathered the cooler!
Ed

Online wobbly

• Operation Braunschweig
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 12:05:39 PM »
very cool my friend and at least you did the wheels as my Ol mate Gra pointed out that I omitted to do mine, my response was very proud tank crew cleaned their wheels every day LOL  ::) oh and you forgot the cooler LOL
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline VonRundstedt

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 03:49:50 PM »
Looks great professor, thanks for sharing.

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
  • Town/City: Palmerston , N.T.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 03:59:15 PM »
Great effort , looks the goods.
"Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty".

Offline scalawag

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 04:02:38 PM »
 This looks great Herr Dr.  I like the cleaner look, and as you have said there are lots of pics of cleaner tanks in theatre.

One observations if I might, I think the ammo cans on the .50 and 7.62mm MGs would be green.  I usually paint mine in Tamiya Nato Green.  The Mgs look much better too with the handles added to the rear, the handlebar types seen on M1A2s.

I also use the tamiya weathering master compacts to add a dusty look.  The "A" compact has sand, light sand, and mud colours which are perfect for this tank.  Adds a dusty look especially on stowage and the like.  You just dust it on with an old soft brush.  Looks great on rubber tires too.

Anyway as I said I love this as is and these suggestions would only be little tweaks to what you have already done mate.  A great looking M1A2.

Paul
A member of: WMTC, SWAG, SEAG and SET in the UK
1/16: Pzr III, Tiger I (early), Tiger I (mid/late), M4A3 75mm, M4A3 105mm, ZTZ99a, Leopard 2A6, Leopard 1A5, M1A2 Abrams, M2A1 Bradley IFV, Challenger 2, JGSDF Type 10.
1/72: Challenger 1, M1A1 Abrams, T 72 M1, JGSDF Type 10.

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 01:20:13 AM »
"...the ammo cans on the .50 and 7.62mm MGs would be green."

Thanks, Paul.  I know that real Abrams parts (and now the HengLong ones, too) are available in both the desert tan and green.  But the ammo cans seem to be mostly green.  (I wish I could remember the FS numbers...actually, I wish I could remember ;). )  So the next time I get to my LHS (which is not so "L," but is a good one for paints), I will get some Tamiya Nato Green.

After seeing one of the posts (likely yours) on the Tamiya weathering master compacts, I bought A,B,C, and D.  I also have some MIG Jimenez powders in Middle Eastern and North African shades.  I have not yet sealed the upper hull in Dullcote because I wondered if someday I might want to dust up the upper hull and turret more.   In fact, a bit of a dusting might lighten up the HengLong color.

I can see that, like my model railroad, my tanks are never done; I just get antsy to move on, and then I come back later.

Wobbly:  The high resolution originals of these photos I posted show that I have the wheels, tracks, and lower hull weathered more than in most of the photos of real M1A1s or M1A2s, except for the banged-up ones used for training drivers.  I think these Abrams crews do clean up their machines rather frequently.  In fact, many of the photos from Iraq and other desert areas show most--not all--Abrams quite clean, even when in action.   The truly weathered Abrams tanks are those that hit mines.  Those are sad sights, indeed.

Ed

Online maxmekker

• Able to Hull Down
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 01:28:35 AM »
Herr Dr. doing some mighty fine work  :)

Offline Chris

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 07:38:34 PM »
Looks pretty good to me great job Herr Dr
Cheers Chris

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 06:41:06 AM »
Thank you for the kind words, Maxmekker and Chris.  I am eager to get some more stowage on the Abrams and finish the ammunition cans in NATO green.  I keep looking at the model because the photos do not effectively show the weathering, which, though somewhat subtle, is much more noticeable than in the photos.

By the want, this past weekend I found a photo of an Abrams with an orange cooler in the rack at the back.  I am vindicated--though still a good target.
Ed

Offline darthgeoff

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 02:25:24 PM »
hey man where did u manage to get your Abram from iv been looking every where   

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 06:53:57 AM »
I bought the desert colored Abrams off of Amazon.com a few years ago; more recently I found the Abrams in woodland camouflage on eBay.  I am in the US, where the Abrams is more readily available than "down under" (as North Americans say).

You could check US eBay, where there are usually plenty of HengLong Abrams to choose among.  A few sellers on Amazon.com also show some.  However, if you are in Australia, then shipping would be expensive.  (I know: a few years ago, I bought a King Tiger from Australia, thinking the Henschel turret would never come to the US.  I paid hefty postage cost and just a few months later the King Tiger was offered here in North America with the Henschel turret.  Kick here, dummy!)

By the way, I have only one somewhat local source of tanks, only Taigen, and only a few versions.  Four or five years ago, a Taigen tank was put on display near the front door to a hobby store about 50 km from my town.  I nearly had a heart attack when I saw it.   The size just stunned me, especially since I have a long history with 1/16 farm equipment models.  Then when I saw that the tanks were Radio Controlled, I went berserk and walked out of the store with one box under each arm.--a Tiger I and an M26.[
Ed

Reaper 332

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 09:05:19 AM »
Nice Abrams Ed..... ;D

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 10:52:48 AM »
You are too kind, Ken.  I have a lot more to learn.  And here's a teaser: I just received a new goodie today, something a bit more unusual.  I will have photos a.s.a.p.
Ed

• Operation Greenline
Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts - updated
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 06:00:58 AM »
On June 14, Fury 25 posted a link to a Haya resin M3 Grant built on a HengLong Sherman chassis.  Actually, on June 5 I had already ordered one, my savings taking a hit.  Paul the Scalawag knows of these, too, and he showed us some clear photos of the camouflage job used on the M3s at El Alamein.  http://hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=4686.msg42834#msg42834

Well, here are some photos of my new toy that just arrived yesterday.  All the photos are expandable.  I will need to replace or scratch build one exhaust, although Andrew Haya is on the lookout for the part already.  I'm sure there is much that could be done with the basic casting and electronics, but for now I am one happy old boy!

77135-0

77137-1

77139-2
Ed

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 06:02:56 AM »
77141-0

77143-1

77145-2

77147-3
Ed

Reaper 332

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 06:06:39 AM »
Nice Ed .... looks like a well detailed bit of kit.

Cheers Ken

Online Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 08:21:14 AM »
Looks great Ed looking forward to seeing where you take it

Cheers
Damo

Online wobbly

• Operation Braunschweig
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 08:26:04 AM »
Wow happy new toy Herr Prof enjoy mate!
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Reaper 332

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 12:37:01 PM »
Looks great Ed looking forward to seeing where you take it

Cheers
Damo

Damo I think he should send it down under for nice little holiday, repaint and weather up ( may take a few years for me to get it back to you though Ed....hehehe)

Online AFV Aficionado

• Operation PM
  • Town/City: Hamilton & Te Awamutu
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 12:46:15 PM »
Nice, any plans on how to finish it?
I've heard the return rollers for Lee/Grants are different from Shermans - if you want to go that direction?

Mal
HL M41A3 X 6.5 - NZ M41A1 MERDC, AVRNZE, 3 X Barely touched, T50 ARV WIP - 6 wheel hull, Taigen M41A3
HL M26 - MERDC Dots & HL M26A1
2 X Bruder MB Actros Low Loader - 4 axle, Bruder MAN TGA
Ultimate Soldier 1/18th M113A2 X 2
Spyder Works 1/16th FV101 Scorpion
Ludwig Centurion III