New Page 1

Author Topic: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts 19 November 2017 update  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Herr Dr. Professor

• Operation Greenline
Re: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 01:10:14 PM »
Well, Gents, I have so much to learn and so much to practice before I start doing anything dramatic to a tank that cost me--gulp--nearly 500 USD. :o   For now, I am just going to stick to practicing on standard HengLong tanks and other, far less expensive models.

I have just two Squadron books on the M3, and there is one Osprey book out there I can pick up when the money tree shakes a bit.  I know the tracks from the Sherman are wrong for the Grant, and I believe the return rollers were different, too.  (In fact, I think I recall reading in Son of Sherman that the return rollers changed on the Sherman somewhat early in its production run.)
Ed
a.k.a. Herr Dr. Professor

Offline chappie

• Operation Jupiter
  • Consider this,98% of all rumours are true!.
  • Town/City: Tom Price/Western Australia
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2016, 03:09:46 PM »
Hey Ed,we're all constantly learning and I'm liking your choice in armour. 8)
6th Scale CR2
6th scale FOA Tiger 1
6th Scale Spearhead Models Panzer 1V ausf J
6th Scale 21st century M5A1 Stuart
6th Scale Dragon/Tankboy Kubelwagen
Tamiya Kingtiger x 2
HL Pershing Tiger 1 Panther Stug111,Panzer 111 x 2
Mato Jagdtiger x 1
Chunwai M1A2 x1
HE M1A2 x 1 & Wasan T34/85.

Offline jeman

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2016, 04:53:29 PM »
LOKKS FANTASTIC !   Really like what you've done and I'm going to learn from it   WELL DONE Herr Dr. Professor   :)

Online Gary@VicarmourRCclub

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2016, 08:10:13 AM »
WOW , so you bought the Grant built ?

Is it full RC when you get it ?

One of our members bought the vandramodel conversion and is now trying to work out what to do to get turret rotationas the kit doesn't supply it

Very nice .
Gary Thorpe
Comms Officer,
Victorian Armoured RC Club.
1/6 Chunwai Marder III
1/8 Verio King Tiger
1/16 Taigen late Tiger 1 + about 10 others
1/24 VS King Tiger,Tiger1's,Sherman
1/35 Tami RC IR battle T34 Pz4 PantherG Sherman

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 08:25:43 AM »
Yes, I paid in blood (well, actually in Euros) for the "built" Grant.  The turret does rotate on mine, but the small gun has to be posed by hand.  The big gun only raises and lowers.  (Nerts!)

I am practicing on a Panzer III just now, keeping a record of everything I do and every paint, etc., that I use.  I have not taken photos all along of this weathering, but before too long I can show photos here and a list of what I did (don't expect much in the line of scratch-building).

Thanks for all your encouragement!  It's "Hobby Havoc" that turned my fun with RC tanks into fun weathering RC tanks.  Someday I will take on a Tamiya!
Ed

Offline VonRundstedt

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 04:24:52 PM »
Good stuff Ed, the tank looks awesome. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Online Gary@VicarmourRCclub

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2016, 05:07:36 PM »
Yes, I paid in blood (well, actually in Euros) for the "built" Grant.  The turret does rotate on mine, but the small gun has to be posed by hand.  The big gun only raises and lowers.  (Nerts!)

I am practicing on a Panzer III just now, keeping a record of everything I do and every paint, etc., that I use.  I have not taken photos all along of this weathering, but before too long I can show photos here and a list of what I did (don't expect much in the line of scratch-building).

Thanks for all your encouragement!  It's "Hobby Havoc" that turned my fun with RC tanks into fun weathering RC tanks.  Someday I will take on a Tamiya!

Thanks for the reply Ed.

The conversion is not for an amateur ... the member who has it will work at getting everything to work if it is humanly possible  ... regardless of how long it take ;)
Gary Thorpe
Comms Officer,
Victorian Armoured RC Club.
1/6 Chunwai Marder III
1/8 Verio King Tiger
1/16 Taigen late Tiger 1 + about 10 others
1/24 VS King Tiger,Tiger1's,Sherman
1/35 Tami RC IR battle T34 Pz4 PantherG Sherman

• Operation Greenline
Re: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts No. 2
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2016, 03:28:09 AM »
Panzerkampfwagen III, Ausführung HTauchpanzer

HengLong Standard Plastic Version, 2.4 Ghz

Click on the images below to expand them.

This is a version of the “Tauchpanzer” with a single “snorkel” as used in crossing the Bug River in Russia, not exactly the same as is shown in photos of the experimental versions prepared for Seelöwe, the invasion of Britain that, thanks in great part to the RAF, never occured.

The base color is HengLong’s version of Dunkelgelb, perhaps a bit darker than RAL 7028. However, according to MIG Jimenez Paints, the mid-war version of Dunkelgelb is the darkest variant.

Paints, Materials, and Weathering:

●   MIG Heavy Mud “Wet Mud” #1705

●   10 parts MIG Filter “Ochre for Light Sand” #1503 to 4 parts MIG Wash “US Modern Vehicles” #1007
   ○   entire undercarriage, lower hull, upper hull, turret, commander's hatch, and all accessories

●   AK Enamel “Track Wash” #083 and Testor’s Enamel “Steel” #1180
   ○   tracks; coated in wash; steel applied dry brush across the cleats

●   MIG set “Tools Colors” #7112 and Tamiya “Light Sand” #TS-46
   ○   tool colors used per directions on the set box; jack and pry bar tie downs first finished in Tamiya Light Sand and filter/wash as in 1) above

●   Rust-O-Leum Flat Black #7578
   ○   snorkel tube and vent, snorkel antenna (pending evidence of unpainted rubber or other materials)

●   PanPastel Weathering Kit “Rust and Earth” and PanPaster Weathering Kit “Greys, Grime and Soot”
   ○   exhausts:  overall base 740.8 Burnt Sienna Tint, unevenly covering; 380.1 Red Iron Oxide Extra Dark and 380.3 Red Iron Oxide Shade unevenly applied, especially toward engine end; dusting of 800.5 Black for soot, especially toward opening and on center rear of tank around exhaust pipes      

●   MIG Pigment Fixer #3000
   ○   to fix exhausts and to graphite around hatches and handles

●   JB Weld
   ○   for seams on accessories; especially the front tow brackets and linch pins

●   Powdered Graphite
   ○   for worn paint on handles and areas of hatches where crew hands or clothing would rub the paint surface repeatedly

●   Stock HengLong long antenna, shrink tubing, and Tamiya Dark Yellow #XF60
   ○   I saved the short, stock antenna as it is no use on 2.4 Ghz version.  I covered the the hole in the rear deck with a jack block the crew salvaged off another tank.  I cut a spare long HengLong antenna to 1/16 scale two meters, and cut the wound, spring-like end 5/32 inch.  I used Walther’s Goo to glue the spring-like end to a metal rod filed to fit.  Then I covered the remaining spring-like end with shrink tube and painted the shrink tube with Tamiya Dark Yellow #XF60.  I bent the mounting end so the antenna would drop into the antenna rail on the tank.  I drilled the antenna mount through to the inside of the upper hull so the metal mounting pin would fit through.  I can balance the antenna up or leave it down in the rack.  (Note: the long wooden block on the fender keeps the antenna from coming out the side of the antenna mount, but I can unscrew the block if needed.)

●   Testor’s Dullcote Spray #1260
   ○   covers the whole tank

78535-0

78537-1

78539-2

78541-3

78543-4

78545-5

78547-6

78549-7

While I looked for photos of Panzer IIIs and especially Tauchpanzers, in various sources, my primary sources follow.  I especially used a photo in Spielberger's book to gauge the extent of mud splash (less than I expected).

Spielberger, Walter.  Panzer III: und seine Abarten.  Motorbuch Verlag, 2012.  ISBN-10: 978-3613035508.

Culver, Bruce and Bill Murphy.  Panzer Colours.  Illus. Don Greer.  Arms & Armour Press. 1981. ISBN: 0853684502.
Ed

Online Leo 2A6

• Global Moderator
  • Operation Supercharge
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2016, 03:37:38 AM »
Looks great Ed

Cheers Damo

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2016, 03:45:26 AM »
Thank you for your kind compliment, Damo.  As you know, this is not a record of a "build" so much as a record of slow learning.  Sometimes I get tense as I work, but it is fun when something works out well.  I was pleased with the "mud" (but the paint, being thick, takes a long time to dry).  I was especially surprised by how the filter/wash mix worked for me, though next time I will use a higher quality brush.  I compensated this time by working the filter/wash in mostly vertical strokes.
Ed

Offline Tiger Tank

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2016, 04:06:33 AM »
Excellent job on the weathering Herr Dr. looks just right well done.
Kindest Regards
                       Kevin

HL Sherman M4A3

Offline VonRundstedt

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2016, 04:40:40 PM »
Nice result Ed, she looks great.

Offline Yobbo

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
  • Town/City: Palmerston , N.T.
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 04:50:34 PM »
Great Job young Edward , looks really good.
"Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty".

Reaper 332

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2016, 05:18:08 PM »
Great job on the P3 Ed ..... ;D

Cheers Ken

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2016, 03:59:56 AM »
Many thanks, Muchas Gracias, and vielen Dank for all your kind responses.  I now think I will brush the snorkel lightly and unevenly with the MIG Track Wash, as I am convinced that the thing was probably painted cast iron pipe.  Any photo I can find of the Panzer III prepared for or coming out of the Bug River shows the snorkel straight up in the air, as if inflexible.  Of course, if anyone has information, I am eager for help.
Ed

Offline wobbly

• Operation Braunschweig
  • Town/City: Canberra A C T
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2016, 06:21:27 PM »
Yes nice job Herr Prof looks good buddy  8)
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline Chris

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2016, 11:37:54 AM »
Very well done Herr Dr looks great 😎😎😎
Cheers Chris

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2016, 05:17:18 AM »
Thank you, Chris and Wobbly!  I am going to take a break for a while to turn to 1/48 airplanes and maybe even a UDT, an LST, other such landing craft.  But I am already at work on some 1/16 figures and thinking about a Sherman in winter camouflage.
Ed

Offline wobbly

• Operation Braunschweig
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2016, 06:28:34 AM »
Cool don't forget keep us posted how about some 1/6 scale figures good fun  8)
Keep On Tanking, HE Oz Abrams, HL M41A3 Walker Bulldog, HL Jagdpanther, HL Panzer 111, HL Stug, 2 X HL Tigers one burnt out both projects.  1/6 approx 90 figures 1/6 Scale Dragon Schwimmwagen static, 1/6 kettenkrad :) heaps 1/18 Allied and Axis figures Member Panzergruppe South

Offline chappie

• Operation Jupiter
  • Consider this,98% of all rumours are true!.
  • Town/City: Tom Price/Western Australia
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »
Nice weathering on your P111H Ed,if you can lay your hands on a copy Squadron/Signals Panzer 111 in action has a few pics of 18th panzer divisions Tauchpanzer and a short write up.
6th Scale CR2
6th scale FOA Tiger 1
6th Scale Spearhead Models Panzer 1V ausf J
6th Scale 21st century M5A1 Stuart
6th Scale Dragon/Tankboy Kubelwagen
Tamiya Kingtiger x 2
HL Pershing Tiger 1 Panther Stug111,Panzer 111 x 2
Mato Jagdtiger x 1
Chunwai M1A2 x1
HE M1A2 x 1 & Wasan T34/85.

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2016, 07:23:29 AM »
Sorry, Wobbly, these will be 1/16 figures.  I cannot afford to get started on 1/6 figures. especially because then I would want 1/6 AFVs and etc.  I do watch your and others' postings on 1/16 figures.

Chappie: usually a Squadron/Signal "In Action" title is the first thing I check.  I cannot find one here in the US, but I will not give up.  As far as the Tauchpanzers go, I have seen only a handful of the same photos in various sources.
Ed

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2016, 06:25:44 AM »
Chappie, you were right to recommend the Squadron/Signal PzKfw III In Action book (No. 24).  I found a copy via eBay.  Just as you indicated, there are some photos I had not seen elsewhere.  It is interesting that Culver makes a distinction between the Tauchpanzer and a "wading tank" used to cross the Bug river (p. 18).  It seems to me that the HengLong toy is actually what Culver calls a "wading tank," with a shorter snorkel.

By the way, I bought eight other used books from the same the eBay seller at the same time.  The books came in so fast they nearly punctured my garage door, and the box included two extra magazines and a Squadron Signal book on the Hetzer.  The seller said the magazines were better than packing the books in cardboard and the Hetzer book's cover was not in good enough shape to sell on eBay.  Geepers!  The cover had a small coffee stain and a strange mark clearly from the original printing.   I'll order books from "Chapmansj" again.
Ed

• Operation Greenline
Re: Herr Dr. Prof's modest efforts - AN AUSSIE M3
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2016, 11:42:21 AM »
Update: Back on 21 June, Mal wrote about the Haya M3 Grant I bought "I've heard the return rollers for Lee/Grants are different from Shermans."  Yes, indeed, the M3 had the suspension system with the return rollers mounted directly atop the castings for the road wheel suspensions (VVSS).  But quite early in production, the Sherman VVSS was changed over to return rollers mounted out from the top of the castings on triangular arms.  These are the M4 suspension components on the Andrew Haya M3 conversion because Haya uses a HengLong lower hull, electronics, chassis, and tracks.

Well now Chappie has responded to my query about Australian and New Zealander AFVs in WWII, giving me the link to http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/.  The museum web pages show photos and point out that some Australian M3s had the newer M4 components.  In short, I have the makings of an
AUSTRALIAN M3 GRANT!
Ed

Offline wobbly

• Operation Braunschweig
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2016, 01:05:27 PM »
Now that is cool hope you do us justice Ol buddy  ;)

• Operation Greenline
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2016, 05:07:20 AM »
My first step, then, is to get information.  I will be checking the sources given me under the discussion at http://hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=4997.msg45156#new.  However, I am interested in any other photos and information about Australian M3 Grant tanks.  I'd bet that no other North American will be making an Aussie version of the Grant.
Ed