New Page 1

Author Topic: Pretty much finished my US M1A2  (Read 1451 times)

Offline sheridan mech

Pretty much finished my US M1A2
« on: April 29, 2015, 01:44:25 PM »
M1a2 done as Us army SEP 1 Unit.
Built working tow bar, some towing clevis for the front. some canvas and the SEP air handling unit for the turret bustle.
Also changed it to an ir battle tank with recoiling barrel and ht flasher.

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
Re: Pretty much finished my US M1A2
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 05:41:55 PM »
Looks good SM,  8) 8) 8)
What type electronics are you using and any pics of the recoil mod?

Cheers
Gra  :)
HL Tiger 1 & El Mod, HL Tiger 1, HL Pantiger modded to Panther A, HL Panzer III, HL Panzer IV, HL King Tiger Porsche turret, Matorro King Tiger Henschel turret & El Mod, Matorro Jagdtiger, HL Stug E & G, HL Sherman & T-34, Matorro Sturmtiger, A7V (WIP)
Member Panzergruppe South

Offline sheridan mech

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 02:57:55 AM »
I stripped the elevation and recoil units from an old HE Abrams removed the HL airsoft unit And main gun mantle, Modified the HL main gun tube to fit in the HE recoil unit and the HE mantle to fit the HL turret. Put HL motors in the HE units.
Here's some pics.

Offline sheridan mech

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 03:37:33 AM »
one more, a comparison of the HE and HL barrels. The HL is a Solid cast aluminum with a push in plastic tip ( the one on mine was not glued in place just a friction fit).

Offline sheridan mech

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 04:02:18 AM »
To see the complete build process go rc tank warfare and view greengiants Abrams detail build in the Heng Long builds forum.

Offline sheridan mech

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 05:52:36 AM »
More Finished HL Abrams Pics.

Offline Gra

• Global Moderator
  • Operation PM
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 07:43:35 PM »
A great build SM, I thought greengiant's build looked very familiar lol.
Like the non slip surface the tow bar, good recoil mod and the spent shells  8) 8) 8)
Now you will have to get the T-90 for the opposition  ;D

Cheers
Gra  :)
HL Tiger 1 & El Mod, HL Tiger 1, HL Pantiger modded to Panther A, HL Panzer III, HL Panzer IV, HL King Tiger Porsche turret, Matorro King Tiger Henschel turret & El Mod, Matorro Jagdtiger, HL Stug E & G, HL Sherman & T-34, Matorro Sturmtiger, A7V (WIP)
Member Panzergruppe South

Offline sheridan mech

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 11:20:07 PM »
It was a build that required more material referencing then anything I've ever done.
The Abrams has been around for so long in different configurations that people tend to lump them all into one vision of it in their heads without realizing that it first went into service with a 105 mm main gun back around 1989.
My version would not go up against a T90 as it is a SEP V1 which has not been produced since about 2004. Even the US national guard units are asking to receive the V2 model as their V1's are turned in for rebuild.
The newest rebuilds are all SEP V2's (with the Marines having their own special version of it). These newest SEP's are what the US has shipped to Europe lately and would face the T 90's and the completely new Russian tank family that they say is superior to everything.  Just like they did about the T90.
Just opened up the drivers hatch last night and in the reference material found pic of a V2  that a bullet splash lip was put on the hatch front when rebuilt to V2 standards (probably to keep small arms fire from riding up the hull slope and wrecking the drivers periscopes). Will tackle adding that today.   

Offline sheridan mech

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 01:09:10 PM »
Some of these pictures are repeats, sorry. but I don't know how to remove them.

Did finish the drivers hatch.

Made up some rubber pieces to replace the molded front fenders and now I can't find the folder I put the pictures in. Take my word that they look much better then just painting the molded ones black.
If I can find the pics I'll post them.

With some help found some metal rear Sprockets that have the correct scallops and mud holes molded in. Fits without modification major modification on when using the plastic tracks.