New Page 1

Author Topic: My new Mato Sherman  (Read 676 times)

Offline MrWittman

• Able to Hull Down
  • Panzergruppesouth.com
    • Panzergruppe South
My new Mato Sherman
« on: February 03, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »
Just got my new Mato M4A1 76(w) Sherman.  Main reason I obtained one of these is that I do not like the 105mm version from Tamiya and HL.  Anyway, the detail is very good, although I might lower the turret like I have seen others do once I figure how to do it (any advice would be very much appreciated). I have ordered the metal road wheel kit.  I was going to order metal tracks but I might wait because the tracks that came with the tank are quite heavy and chunky due to the metal track link connectors.  I am also going to convert to IR and put a recoil unit in (when I can find a suitable unit) and put a new barrel in (from Welshdragon when they are back in stock).

In terms of painting I was going to do a Soviet lend lease version but I found out they did not recieve M4A1 models. So it will either be a Brit or Yank tank, which is pretty easy - they were all olive green.

I will post some pics soon.  Any advice on upgrades would be very much appreciated.
Panzergruppe South (SNSWRCTC) member/ Kampfgruppe Queanbeyan
www.panzergruppesouth.com
HENG LONG
Tiger 1 (elmod)
KV 1
Stug III
Pzkfw IV F2 (elmod)
Panther G (elmod)
T34/85 (elmod)
Sherman
SU152
TAMIYA
King Tiger
JS2
Kubelwagon
1/35 rc Pz IV J, Sherman
OTHER STUFF
Matorro Sherman M4A1(76)w

Offline fynsdad

Re: My new Mato Sherman
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:50:22 PM »
Welcome to the sherman club. I've done a few conversions using the Mato sherman and they're a great little tank.
The turret lowering is quite straight forward and self explanitary once you seperate the turret halves, but if you need any help just shout. The metal suspension is a straight swop, but prime the units well or you'll be forever touching them up.
The std tracks are good, as are the gearboxes so there's no real reaon to change these.
Remember....it's just a plastic tank

reyemmanuel

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 12:02:36 AM »
Hi Adamc,

Congrats on the new tank. Was it the 2.4 ghz from Ozarmour?

Oh, when you've gotten hold of the metal roadwheel set, are you going sell the plastic ones? I've got a project awaiting VVSS mato set.

cheers,Rey

Offline MrWittman

• Able to Hull Down
  • Panzergruppesouth.com
    • Panzergruppe South
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 07:11:43 AM »
Fynsdad - some advice on the turret lowering would be most useful and appreciated.  I pulled the turrent apart and can sort of see where I need to cut but am not 100 per cent clear about how to do it, particularly in respect to the screw mounts that join the turret halves together.  Any advice and pics would be much appreciated.  Does the BB unit still fit when the turret is lowered?  I have seen your conversions and they look great.

reyemmanuel - yes, I bought the tank from Mark at Ozarmour and its the 2.4 ghz. I am thinking of changing to a HL system and upgrading to a RC2HL/MAKO so I can run it off my Turnigy 9X and install an IR system.  I have ordered the metal road wheels so I would be happy to sell you the plastic wheels once I have swapped them over.
Panzergruppe South (SNSWRCTC) member/ Kampfgruppe Queanbeyan
www.panzergruppesouth.com
HENG LONG
Tiger 1 (elmod)
KV 1
Stug III
Pzkfw IV F2 (elmod)
Panther G (elmod)
T34/85 (elmod)
Sherman
SU152
TAMIYA
King Tiger
JS2
Kubelwagon
1/35 rc Pz IV J, Sherman
OTHER STUFF
Matorro Sherman M4A1(76)w

Offline fynsdad

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
Regarding the lowered turret, I know some guys cut the mounting posts down the same amount as the removed plastic, but I bond the turret halves together(also gets rid of a seam) then wait until last thing to stick the base on.
The BB unit is a very tight fit once done, a lot of plastic needs removing on the turret base/ring to allow elevation.
Unfortunatley I've sold on my sherman so I can't get any pics, I'll see if I can find any from when I built her.
Frank
Remember....it's just a plastic tank