postern
postern
Hobby Havoc Old Forum
December 19, 2014, 06:07:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register  
New Page 1

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Modification  (Read 3615 times)
pzrwest
Gold Member

« on: October 09, 2007, 12:26:31 PM »

Want to eliminate the long out of scale antenna that comes with the HL RC tanks? Well after talking to my brother the "HAM" nut he said why not just replace the antenna with an internal antenna and proceeded to explain to me how to do it. Here's what he said " just measure the section of antenna you want to replce then cut a section of laquered copper wire like you would find in a choke or coil from an old radio or power supply the same length as the anteena that comes with the tank. So I tried what he said and "HOT DAM!" worked like a charm. I place the tank at one end of the house and tested it out works perfectly. I could start and stop the tank activate the machine gun, the cannon fire drive train responded as it should. I paced off the distance from the tank to the transmitter and was 20 good paces which would be approximately 60ft. Here is how I did it:
1. I measured the antenna and it measured 13-1/16"
2. I cut a section of the laquered wire to that length
3 I took a piece of 1/4" hollow styrene tubeing 1-5/8" long drill a tiny hole near the one end.
4. I inserted the one end of the copper insulated wire into the hole and brought the end out of the end of the tube approximately 1/4-3/8".
5. I then wound the wire around the tubeing and secured the other end to the tubeing with some cyano
6. I then glued short standoff's on either end feeding the end of the wire through the one end
7. When the glue had dried I then un-soldered the antenna wire where it is soldered to the anntena stub keeping the 2 sections of black wire.
8. I then soldered the end of the black antenna wire to the end of the coil and tack glued it to the right inside panel of the hull.
Then I was test time... and it passed with flying colors.
Here are pics of the modification:
Pic 1 This shows the coil I used to get the laquered wire from I took the coil out of an old AT computer power supply. This pic shows the top view of the coil

Pic 2 side view of the same coil

Pic 3 Coil instslled in the HL PzrIII L
pzrwest
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 11:03:15 AM »

Well I did a distance test with the antenna modification and started at 50yrds started the tank and tried all the functions. The kept adding 5 yrds to the distance with clear line of sight and repeated the sequence again. I Kept adding 5 yrds to the tests and stopped at 100yrds and everything still functioned. I figured at 100 yrds is ample distance because the tank would be hard to see if it was camo'ed and not on concrete but grass or sand terrain . I am satisfied this mod will work for any distance I plan to run it
command post 506
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 07:24:16 PM »

Hi PZRWEST, I think I understand the reason the wire lenght has to to be same, but why wind it around the lenght of pipe, could the original outside wire be laid internal along the lenght of the tank, or would this result in problems, would like  your ideas.
CP506
pzrwest
Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 09:12:25 PM »

The idea of makeing the coil is so it's convenient to mount it inside the tank. Also to keep it away from motors and other sources that could cause interferance.
brel
Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 08:21:48 AM »

Pzrwest, I have tried your antenna mod and the tank will only run in a radius of about 20 feet from the transmitter any further than that and it does not respond to the controller and when I move the controller to with in a couple of feet of the tank it still does not respond to the controller and sit there roaring away at full revs and does nothing.
I am running a HL tiger 1 with the elmod hl electronics upgrade.
the tank has been up grade to full metal specification IE tracks road wheels suspension arms and the internal suspension rails

ps I put the antenna right at the back of the tank on the rear bulk head just below the smoker pipes, about as far away from the motors that you can get.

Stewart
BREL = British Rail Engineering Limited, once the best in the world , but sadly no more
1/16th rctankregiment
pzrwest
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 09:04:04 AM »

I can't say why some people have troubles with my antenna mod while others have none. All I know it works great in all of my tanks(3 Tiger1's and 1 Pzr3) I get 100yrd line of site range.
brel
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »

I am going to try a coiled antenna made from a piece of copper wire about 600mm long and crop 20mm off until I get it tuned to the transmitter.

Stewart
BREL = British Rail Engineering Limited, once the best in the world , but sadly no more
1/16th rctankregiment
pzrwest
Gold Member

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 06:42:02 PM »

If you are replaceing the silver metal HL antenna it must be 13-1/16 inches(331mm) any other length will not be right for the HL receiver. You must use insulated wire and the coils should not touch each other.
NoBrainer
Gold Member

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 01:12:15 PM »

With the Bulldog I can't have it down in the hull. I will try to place it up in the turret and see if it works.
But I think 20 feet is a bit too short range...

BTW I got metal tracks and gears so I think the antenna gets a good shield down in the hull. And I don't have the "skirt" that the tiger got over the tracks to place the antenna.

HL Late Tiger I
Hoser
Gold Member

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 09:56:15 AM »

Hello pzrwest as you know I'll be making some of these up thanks for the help over the phone very much appreciated eh. I see in you picture that you used a PIII L as a guide which is fine as I'm adding these to my PIII L and my PIV F1 which should not be much different. Could you by chance include a photo of where these little dudes should be placed in the mighty Tiger I please and thanks

Terry
aka Hoser

Forward our Panzers roll !!
The Maple Leaf FOREVER !
HL Panzer IV ausf F1, HL Panzer III ausf L, HL Tiger I
pzrwest
Gold Member

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 12:07:04 AM »

check out these links will help you with the tiger1 mods and antenna location
Tiger 1 mods and corrections
http://www.hobbyhavoc.com/oldhavoc/index.php?topic=91.0
Tiger1 antenna location I used(port side sponson)
http://www.hobbyhavoc.com/oldhavoc/index.php?topic=324.0
Hoser
Gold Member

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 08:40:38 AM »

Howdy pzrwest thanks for all the info it will come in very handy. After seeing all this I have decided to start on my Tiger now if this stupid migraine would go away I could maybe start today at some point thanks again your a well of information and master modeler.

Terry
aka Hoser

Forward our Panzers roll !!
The Maple Leaf FOREVER !
HL Panzer IV ausf F1, HL Panzer III ausf L, HL Tiger I
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: